fix my model 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fix my model 3

Alright heres the deal I just posted earlier but I have decided that I want to completley rework my model 3. Heres what I want and if you fellas would be nice enough to help me out with my different options and what works/doesn't work.
    Replace Kahler trem-- I want to make this guitar a stop tailpiece. I have no idea what bridge to but or where to look
    new pickguard-- I don't want one that is assembled already if possible I want to try some different pickup options out.
    New pickups-- I'm not an active pickup guy so maybe someone could help with what type of pickups theyve used. It has a hum and two singles. I will prolly replace the hum with a duncan distortion. Help with the singles though.
    New tuners-- The tuners are a little worn out and I'd like to replace them but I dont know what kind to put back in and I don't want to have to do any modding if possible such as drilling new holes widening the ones that are on it.
    Improve wiring and pots-- I have no idea where to start throw me some ideas.
    I'm not really worried about keeping it stock I'll never sell it because my dad and I have worked on it together (without killing each other!) We stripped the red paint off and stained it. It's not a the prettiest piece of wood but it is mine and I want it to be me.

Dude good luck with that and PLEASE post some pics when done! My own model 3 has been considered for modding several times (finding time do actually get round to it is the real issue lol). Personally I'd keep the tuning heads as Jacksons, and replace the Pickups with Seymour Duncans (my own personal choice), I'd have a FLoyd Rose though. To me a jackson or Charvel isn't right without a floyd rose
    Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

I am going to take the neck off another charvel I have to put it on the model 3. It feels a little better to me and the frets are in really good shape and it has sharkfin inlays. The tuners on it are not jacksons though and the ones on the real model three neck are worn to hell. I really only got the model 3 to fix up. It was in terrible shape there were so many dings on the body and fretboard. The shape on the edges are way more rounded now because they were so dinged up I had to sand the shit out of them to get them out. I really hated to see such a fine guitar in pitiful shape but now I'm gonna make it a real player. I tried to repaint it but not being much of a painter it didn't come out very well. So my dad and I strpped the paint again and then stained it. It came out a little darker and there was a spot or two where the stain didn't really take to the body but it looks 100% better than the original paint job did. As far as the trem I don't like them. They just make a pain in the ass for string changes and setups. So it really would be better for me to get a tailpiece.

Comment

Fair enough. Maybe get some replacement Jackson Tuners then? I'm not that hot on modding guitars, and until recenlty I had never really been that interested in Jackson Charvels, other than playing the one I had for the last 14 years lol. Finding this site has totally changes my outlook on them. A stained model 3 huh? What wood are the bodies made of?
        Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

To be honest I'm not sure of what kind of wood the body is mine looks like a straight up mutt. It looks like they used like four or maybe five different peices of wood. Until I stained it the grains all looked really different. Maybe this piece of wood was just not a great piece though hold on for a little bit and Ill post up some pics of what it look like now.

Comment

the wood is basswood

the tuners are jackson labeled gotoh. most gotoh tuners will be drop in replacements. check stewmac for options.

a warmoth strat pickguard will fit ok. you'll have to sand the nick cutout a bit to make it fit.

the singles are likely j100's - jacksons standard single coils.

as for the bridge - you could block up the whole trem cavity and install a hard tail... which you should have done before refinishing... or you could just block the trem so it doesn't pull up. search for threads about blockin trems for more info on that - its easy.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Save yourself some time and money. First basswood is not very special looking. The Model 4 that I stipped was blah, it was plain white wood, no special grain or figuring. Wet sand the stock finish and paint it a cool color of your choice.

Why replace the Kahler, if you really hate it. Again save some money, if you plan on buying stop tail piece, why not block the Kahler. By being blocked it becomes a stop tail with fine tuners. I did this with my 86 Model 2.

Just some ideas that may save you some headache, disapointment and cash.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkicker View Post
                Save yourself some time and money. First basswood is not very special looking. The Model 4 that I stipped was blah, it was plain white wood, no special grain or figuring. Wet sand the stock finish and paint it a cool color of your choice.

Why replace the Kahler, if you really hate it. Again save some money, if you plan on buying stop tail piece, why not block the Kahler. By being blocked it becomes a stop tail with fine tuners. I did this with my 86 Model 2.

Just some ideas that may save you some headache, disapointment and cash.
                +10 to what mudkicker stated. Paint and block the Kahler would be my choice if I wanted a custom hardtail.

Comment

too late already stained and i just want nothing to do with a trem. I am going to do some work with my dad this weekend on his new house and get enough cash to buy a khaler 7330 its a hardtail not a whammy. The stain didn't come out that bad. I think it looks ok. Obviously as already stated its not the greatest piece of wood so its not like a hangup and display model but thats not what I'm going for. I just wanted to take a stab at makeing the guitar absolutley 100% mine. After that all I have to do is get a new pickguard and tuners and I will be set. Any reccomendations for pickups I want to get a pickguard with a hum single hum config.

Comment

Why should we recommend anything, you're just going to ignore the excellent advice and do it your way. Seriously, pickups are really just a matter of taste IMHO. What kind of sound are you going for?

Comment

Working...
                    X