Couple of Model 6 Kahler questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Model 6 Kahler questions.

Looks like I'll be picking up a Model 6 w/Kahler early next week. It's missing its trem arm. Does anyone know if replacements are easy to come by and/or if a new Kahler hybrid bridge is a direct swap?

The guitar has, eh, lots of mojo. It was pearl white originally, but now it's the colour of a smoker's fingers. The binding has seriously yellowed. Made in 1986 (I think) s/n C 067106. In need of TLC with a fair few dings (chip off the tip of the headstock and a chip out of the top of the body) and strings from the Titanic, but still feels great.

Will post pics if/when I get it.

I have a project M6 too, needing an arm.

What I am using right now is a strat type chrome bar. It will not screw in, but will drop in and out easy enough.

I think that the Kahler website, or even the Kahler ebay store will have the right arm. I got an arm for my Model 2 from them.

They are pretty expensive though.

If you are in doubt, you can send them a message saying "will this arm fit this model of Kahler?" I do not know the actual Kahler number.
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
      I have a project M6 too, needing an arm.

What I am using right now is a strat type chrome bar. It will not screw in, but will drop in and out easy enough.

I think that the Kahler website, or even the Kahler ebay store will have the right arm. I got an arm for my Model 2 from them.

They are pretty expensive though.

If you are in doubt, you can send them a message saying "will this arm fit this model of Kahler?" I do not know the actual Kahler number.
      Thanks for the reply. It led me to a serious moment. I should have guessed that our own budman68 (Dave) makes replacement arms, if needs be:

I'll mail the Kahler guys and ask if a hybrid is a direct replacement for an old Kahler Pro.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the arms Dave makes for the Kahler are more like Floyd arms - the original Kahler arms were pretty skinny in comparison - his are pretty beefy.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I got a vintage strat trem bar, and mine threads in, just fine. It MAY be that your threads are worn. It happens, since it's only brass threads. that, or it just may be the wrong size bar.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up about the size of Dave's replacements. I don't really mind if the bar is bigger, as long as it fits.

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
            I got a vintage strat trem bar, and mine threads in, just fine. It MAY be that your threads are worn. It happens, since it's only brass threads. that, or it just may be the wrong size bar.
            I tried a couple of strat bars and neither threaded in. I hope it's not the case that the threads are worn. I'll try a few more bars to see if one fits.

My e-mail to Kahler support bounced last night, so I don't yet know if the new bridges are drop in replacements. I've e-mailed an individual there and will post if I get a response.

Comment

well, if it DOES turn out to be your threads, here's a thought: I once used this kit I bought at the auto parts store, to restore the stripped carb mounting threads on my aluminum intake manifold. It basically consisted of a tube of stuff to restore the threads, and a releasing agent. All you did was fill the stripped hole with the restoring agent, coated the threads or your bolt with the releasing agent, inserted the bolt, let it cure, and then back out the bolt. worked exactly as advertised for me. Just MAY work for you, in your case, too. Been meaning to get more of it, for just such emergencies.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Hi Ken,

True strat bars should fit correctly as those Kahler trems did indeed have american 10-32 threads as do american strat bars.

Hope that helps-
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Trem-bar problems or not, I'll probably pick up the guitar in the next couple of days. Will post pictures once I get it, although it's just a beaten up Model 6.

BTW Dave, I just re-read the short version of your "My Wife, the Luthier" thread on Henrik's website:

Best restoration thread ever. Now, if only I had a little bit of your talent, oh, and a wife...

Comment

Thanks Ken,

Henrik did a fantastic job with that story, pretty cool that he took the time to do that-
                    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks to everyone, Dave in particular, for answering my questions. I nearly forgot to post these pics. I bought the guitar at the time of the original time of the thread, but had Internet access difficulties, so only uploaded the photos in the last week or so.

I was in Australia for a few months and bought it there. Internet access was flaky, so I only put those photos up when I got back to Ireland. It's a great guitar, with lots of mojo and as dinged up as Keith Richards, but who cares, it's a player!

One thing that's funny is the state of the case after 24 hours of flying. <Note to self, fragile tape makes ground crew ANGRY >

Comment

nice one. I think they tossed the case under the plane.

Comment

holy crap that case took a beatin'.

Nice lookin' axe, tho!
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

For Kahler info...

Call Greg at BCR Music in Lemoyne, PA-he's an authorized repair man for Kahler, and works on guitars for the likes of Rick Nielsen, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Stephen Stills, is the touring guitar tech for the NY Dolls, etc...also a friend of mine. He'll tell you if it will fit! I believe the new hybrids are a direct replacement, but Uncle Greg will know fo' sure!!!
                            His number is (800) 724-4296. He's off on Wednesdays. Check out his website at www.bcrmusic.com

Sorry if this violates any rules...if so, I was unaware! I've lurked here for years, just don't post that often. Greg is good people, I just bought a 1984 Hamer Scarab in near mint condition from him. Pics one of these days when I figure out how they work. I'm an old fucker...technology sometimes pisses me off!!!

Comment

The case was 20+ years old and pretty brittle, so I expect it was just the terrible turbulance that messed it up. I did get a fright when I saw it come down the conveyor belt... ... but the guitar had no new dings so happy days.

Originally posted by Gypsy71 View Post
                              Call Greg at BCR Music in Lemoyne, PA-he's an authorized repair man for Kahler, and works on guitars for the likes of Rick Nielsen, Joe Perry, Brad Whitford, Stephen Stills, is the touring guitar tech for the NY Dolls, etc...also a friend of mine. He'll tell you if it will fit! I believe the new hybrids are a direct replacement, but Uncle Greg will know fo' sure!!!
                              His number is (800) 724-4296. He's off on Wednesdays. Check out his website at www.bcrmusic.com

Sorry if this violates any rules...if so, I was unaware! I've lurked here for years, just don't post that often. Greg is good people, I just bought a 1984 Hamer Scarab in near mint condition from him. Pics one of these days when I figure out how they work. I'm an old fucker...technology sometimes pisses me off!!!
                              Thanks for the suggestion, which I'm sure doesn't break any rules. I never did get a reply from Kahler and have been using the current bridge as if it was fixed. I might fire an e-mail off to your guy to see if he knows. I haven't tried the strat-arm I have at home either. I must do that....

There's a sticky in one of the sub-forums explaining how to post pictures. Basically you need to set up a (free) account with picasaweb, photobucket, etc. and upload your photos there first. It's easy and I'm sure everyone would love to see your old Hamer.

Comment

Working...
                              X