Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J90C Pickup Cover Question

Hi...
    I been told a long time ago that if you remove the p.u. cover (for example in a model 2) the p.u. tends to be a little muddy and get some feedback problems.
    t just wanted to know cause i thought to remove the cover. (i preffer the humbucker naked)
    what do you think?
    thanks.

This is a debate that has been discussed before on this board a few times. For the J90C, some claim to not notice a difference, some prefer the pickup with the cover on, I am one who immediately pulls the cover. With my setup (meager as it is), the pickup growls more and has more response without the plastic shield. JMHO.

Comment

me know speak abbreviation "Humble" once you have went past twenty guitars, you can through that out the door
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I've taken the cover off 3 J90s, out of necessity to make them fit another pickup ring on a diff guitar ( DK2 and 2 different mockingbirds ) .. I like the pup closer to the strings, so having no cover has suited me that way
        I honestly don't think my ears are up to detecting the difference between covered and naked .. and the physicist in me wonders what effect a layer of plastic would have on a magnetic circuit, other than being an enforced spacer .. plastic's not magnetic, so it should have no effect at all on the sound, all other things being equal

if you want it off, get it off !

Comment

If anyone pulls theirs off, or has a few laying around, my address is always open to some new covers.
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
            If anyone pulls theirs off, or has a few laying around, my address is always open to some new covers.

I've got 2 I don't need, PM me if you want them

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
              me know speak abbreviation "Humble" once you have went past twenty guitars, you can through that out the door
              Come on, you speak abbreviation Mr. Law. BFD, SMF, JAFO, SNAFU ...

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
                Come on, you speak abbreviation Mr. Law. BFD, SMF, JAFO, SNAFU ...

I am sure those are insults? But me know speaka abbreviations
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

No insults bro. I thought everyone knew these.
                  Big Fkn Deal
                  Stupid Mutha Fkr
                  Just Another Fkn Observer
                  Situation Normal, All Fkd UP.

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
                    No insults bro. I thought everyone knew these.
                    Big Fkn Deal
                    Stupid Mutha Fkr
                    Just Another Fkn Observer
                    Situation Normal, All Fkd UP.
                    when you're as old as I am, an SMF is a Twisted Sister fan

Comment

Hey we're not gonna takeMight give a little

Comment

That's where I got it!!! I knew someone would pick it up.

Comment

Tim, check your Inbox.
                          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

As far as the OP goes, in 86 the model 3a had 2 bare uncovered j80c pickups, the next year they got rid of the pickguard and the very same pickups got covers on them. So, I dont think the covers make any difference that the factory was aware of so I wouldnt worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                              As far as the OP goes, in 86 the model 3a had 2 bare uncovered j80c pickups, the next year they got rid of the pickguard and the very same pickups got covers on them. So, I dont think the covers make any difference that the factory was aware of so I wouldnt worry about it.
                              Well, I thought they sounded better with the cover off but I am half deaf from standing too close to full stacks in my younger days. I guess I need to glue the damn things back on.

Comment

Working...
                              X