Charvel Serial Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Serial Numbers

Hello, I'm a new member of the forum. I've had a look around but don't think anyone has answered this exact question (hopefully!)

I have a 1986 Model 6 with serial number starting C6... I was just wondering if this style of serial number was used across all of charvel's guitars, or just model 6's. i.e. is serial number C60000X the 'X'th model 6 made in 1986, or the 'X'th Charvel model series in general?

And also, does anyone know if they started at C6000001?

Lastly, when did the Model 6 first come out?

Thanks
    Matt

+1 on this, I'd love to know if 259909 fits into any logical sequence

Comment

The Model series began production in 1986.

On the neck thru imports (Model 5, 6), the only part of the serial that means anything are the first two characters,
      C6= 1986, C7= 1987, etc. The rest of the digits are simply sequential.
      C600001 could have been a Model 5.

On the 1986 models, the serial was a simple sticker. From 1987 on, the serials were stamped into the end of the fretboard.

Bolt on Charvel import serial numbers are simply sequential with no other meaning.
      The plates were shared among all the various bolt on models (Model 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.).

Jackson never tracked serial numbers on any of the import models.
      -Rick

Comment

Thanks! That answers my question nicely, so the number after C6 tells you which thru neck charvel you have (either Model 5 or 6) and the fact that its a 1986 means that 000001 was the first ever thru neck model series (if its exists).
        Cheers for your help,
        Matt

Comment

my q answered too, thanks a lot !

Comment

Originally posted by matt86 View Post
            Thanks! That answers my question nicely, so the number after C6 tells you which thru neck charvel you have (either Model 5 or 6) and the fact that its a 1986 means that 000001 was the first ever thru neck model series (if its exists).
            Cheers for your help,
            Matt
            No... the numbers after C6 are just sequential. They do not tell you anything else about the guitar at all.

Many of us here have tried to make sense of the numbering and the best we can come up with is they had a stamping machine that just cycled to the next number, regardless of what guitar it was going on.

I assume they started with C600001 on the neck thru's, but I have no information validating that.

The neck plates are even more interesting since the 86's started with a 22.
            Why they started with 22xxxx is beyond me.
            -Rick

Comment

I assume they started with C600001 on the neck thru's, but I have no information validating that.
              I have c600056 and that's the lowest I have seen.

Comment

My guitar is C600050, which is why I asked originally. Its seems I've stumbled across a pretty early guitar. We could try and find the oldest one out there with this thread, the challenge is set!

Comment

rjohnstone...sorry, I wasn't very clear in my thanks message. What I meant was you could tell that you have the 'X'th neck thru model series guitar from your serial number, be it a 5 or a 6. Obviously you would need more info than this if you weren't sure whether your guitar started life as a 5 or a 6!
                  Thanks again

Comment

My guitar is C600050, which is why I asked originally. Its seems I've stumbled across a pretty early guitar. We could try and find the oldest one out there with this thread, the challenge is set!
                    Does yours have logos on the pickups?

Comment

I believe the pickups are the originals from looking at original adverts for the guitar. The bridge pickup (Humbucker) has no logo on the front, but a jackson sticker on the back. I forget the model number. The two single coils are EMG style (ie covered in black plastic so you can't see the poles) and dont have any logo either. Although the logo may have worn off if it was just printed on. Looking at old adverts (which you can see if you search 'charvel model 6' on ebay), the 1986 Model 6 didn't have any logos on the pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by matt86 View Post
                        I believe the pickups are the originals from looking at original adverts for the guitar. The bridge pickup (Humbucker) has no logo on the front, but a jackson sticker on the back. I forget the model number. The two single coils are EMG style (ie covered in black plastic so you can't see the poles) and dont have any logo either. Although the logo may have worn off if it was just printed on. Looking at old adverts (which you can see if you search 'charvel model 6' on ebay), the 1986 Model 6 didn't have any logos on the pickups.
                        Sometimes a small blacklight will make the old logo show up on the pickups even if it's worn off from use.

Comment

Sometimes a small blacklight will make the old logo show up on the pickups even if it's worn off from use.
                          These would have had the raised jackson logo if there ever was a logo. I have owned mine 86 since 88. Never had logos on mine. Look at the catalog cover for 86. no logos on singles and the bridge pickup doesn't have a cover. The top of the covers are not smooth either so you could tell if a raised logo was sanded off.

Looking at old adverts (which you can see if you search 'charvel model 6' on ebay), the 1986 Model 6 didn't have any logos on the pickups.
                          That's what I thought but other always tell me I'm wrong.

Comment

Rich#6: My pickups look exactly like the ones in your picture. The bridge pickup had the plastic cover on it when I got the guitar, but I took this off as I didn't think it was original (it was superglued on!)

Comment

Rich#6: My pickups look exactly like the ones in your picture. The bridge pickup had the plastic cover on it when I got the guitar, but I took this off as I didn't think it was original (it was superglued on!)
                              yep it's original. Probably says made in the usa and model 4 or 6 on the back.I know later numbers did get the logos though

Comment

Working...
                              X