Red Surfcaster (Unique?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Surfcaster (Unique?)

I've recently bought this red surfcaster (prob. 1994) off Ebay. As far as i know (and i've scanned all 90's Charvel cataloques) this is a unique setup, in the sense that it has a tremolo, and a combo of a lipstick and jackson humbucker pickup. Can anybody tell me more about this, might it have been custom made back in 94? Anyone know of a similar one?

Cheers, Eric

Here's a catalog scan:

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....777&fullsize=1

They came in trem and hardtail models. IMO, the humbucker on yours was most likely added by a previous owner, but I've only seen catalogs up through '93. Should be pretty easy to tell by popping it out and looking at the cavity and the pickguard in that area. As a rule, there were no custom Charvel imports, but there were a few prototypes that got out into the used market.

Comment

In late 94 they started to put humbuckers in the bridge position.

Comment

Here is my red one. No trem though.
        RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
        CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
        Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
        Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Those are really cool, I've never seen one before

Comment

They indeed started to put in humbuckers in Surfcasters in 1994, but only on guitars with the stop tail piece, not on the ones with tremolo. So it seems mine might have been a prototype, as there's no signs of messing around with the pickups by the previous owner(s).

The two surfcasters above are newly made in japan if i'm not mistaken, they were produced up to about a year ago. They can be recognised by the bridge pickup humbucker. They did not make them like that back in the 1991-1995 days when the "original" versions were produced. They look great though!

Eric

Comment

The two surfcasters above are newly made in japan if i'm not mistaken, they were produced up to about a year ago. They can be recognised by the bridge pickup humbucker. They did not make them like that back in the 1991-1995 days when the "original" versions were produced. They look great though!

Eric[/quote]
              Yes the are very recent production models. I ordered direct from Japan.
              RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
              CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
              Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

can they still be ordered though?, i thought they stopped that recently?

Comment

Working...
                X