Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Model 88, not original... What's a good price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 88, not original... What's a good price?

So, back in my youth I was searching for a mahogany-bodied strat and came upon a used Model 88 at my buddy's guitar store. I bought it and had it custom painted (car paint, done by another friend), and added an EMG 89 pickup.

I ended up selling it to a buddy for... I don't remember how much, he doesn't either.

Now, I've discussed the idea of buying it back. Here's the condition:

1. It has the original tremolo (which doesn't stay in tune) still with the original "behind the nut" lock nut.

2. The custom paint is still pretty good. It was dropped on the tail and has a couple of chips near the jack plate, nothing I couldn't deal with.

3. There is an extra switch hole drilled in the face of the guitar; this was for an EMG boost switch, which isn't in the guitar anymore (I could still get the boost switch).

I don't want to rip my friend off, but I don't want to over-pay. I'd like to have it back, so what's a reasonable offer for this guitar?

I'm thinking maybe $300?

Since the guitar has been mod'd, its only worth what you are willing to pay.
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Hmmm... Good point, it's nothing "special" now. The custom refin has held up for 15 years or more with no cracks or anything so it's at least a solid axe.

How much are they worth un-modded?

Yeah, I think about $300 is all I'd want to pay for it, but I WOULD really like to have it back.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Hmmm... Good point, it's nothing "special" now. The custom refin has held up for 15 years or more with no cracks or anything so it's at least a solid axe.

How much are they worth un-modded?

Yeah, I think about $300 is all I'd want to pay for it, but I WOULD really like to have it back.

Really hard to say right now? Some could go for 200. to 1000. low serial number, great condition would be the upper scale.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I woud put it back to as close to original the hole can be filled to where its not seen.$250 in modded shape is as high as I would go but if its a real low serial number maybe more then restore it.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
          X