j-90c mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j-90c mystery

Hey everyone. Recently I bought an awesome red Charvel model 2, unfortunately without the original j-90c humbucker. After some searching I found a replacement one. But it appears to me that this new j-90c humbucker is not the original thing. For one thing it seems to wide (the polepiece slugs/screws don’t match with the strings). Second, I found some pics on the internet which show that the original baseplate should have a jackson logo engraved into it (instead of a little handwritten sticker saying j-90c).But on the other hand, the front side of this replacement humbucker does have a white Jackson logo… What is this thing?

So basically does anybody know where to find a real j-90c? The seems pretty hard to get these days …

Thanks in advance.

Jan

Not all of them are logoed, the one you have probably originally had a cover with a Jackson logo on it, with the cover you don't notice the pole pieces, it will still work just fine, even though the pole pieces are not directly under the strings. You can find them on ebay often, theres probably one on there now.http://cgi.ebay.com/80s-Jackson-Char...3%3A1|294%3A50
    Last edited by jacksonaxes; 06-13-2009, 12:32 PM.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Thats not a j-90c. Here are a few! some have screws,some do not.
      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 06-13-2009, 12:42 PM.
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Here are a few! some have screws,some do not.
              That one looks like it used to have screws before it rusted.
              I thought the american made ones had black screws and polls too.
              that pickup in the model 2 looks like one of the pickups from a jackson in the 90's

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                That one looks like it used to have screws before it rusted.
                I thought the american made ones had black screws and polls too.
                that pickup in the model 2 looks like one of the pickups from a jackson in the 90's

don't think to much rich. the one in the model 2 off mine, is in fact a U.S.A j-90c and the one with the black screws is just one that the cover was pulled But thats ok There is so much misformation out there
                Last edited by john.w.lawson; 06-13-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

My USA Jackson pickups have black screws and black pole pieces, and they never had covers. They're regular-spaced rather than f-spaced. They don't have a stamped logo on the baseplate, but have a metallic sticker that says "Jackson Pickups, Made in U.S.A." I've got a loose USA J-50B out of an '85 Charvel that I'll snap a few pics of later if I get a chance.

Comment

don't think to much rich. the one in the model 2 off mine, is in fact a U.S.A j-90c and the one with the black screws is just one that the cover was pulled But thats ok There is so much misformation out there
                    I should have split the post between giving you shit about the rusty one and amokalom's pciture. The one I thought was from the 90's is the one amokalom posted from his model 2. Only have seen black screws and poles myself.

Comment

This is what a U>S>A J-90c looks like....

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Just for fun, here's some I had lying around. The one on the left has nothing but an "R" stamped into it. This came from a Charvel Rhoads (toothpaste logo, not sure of the year or model) and is a single conductor. The other one has Jackson stamped into it and a sticker that says J-95 and shows signs of once having a cover. This came out of my Predator. Neither have any markings on the tops.

Scott

Comment

You are a lucky dog to have a j-95 they rock.Its a very broad banded pickup 16k IIRC.
                          The J95 only came in the Charvel model 88 and model 5A.
                          I have sevral J-90-c's some have black poles and screws some do not.The wider spaced ones came out in the 90's imports.10.8k is pretty low for a J-90c.
                          Should sound good tho'.
                          Side note most model series had covers the 90's have the logo on the bobbins.So I'd say that pick up is not original to the guitar.
                          10.8 would make it a JH-2 IMO.
                          Last edited by straycat; 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

So is there a hard and fast rule with these? I was always under the assumption the ones with the adjustable pole pieces were the USA models and the ones without were imports. Am I mistaken then? If so that's cool. Just curious so I know what to look for in the future. Because in my experience there has been a distinct tonal difference between import and USA models.

That being said... I've been hunting for a J-92C forever. Still haven't found one. So if anyone wants to unload one....
                            - Adam

Comment

I think that theres a lot of inconsistency with these. I thought that there were just the 2 different ones, the model series type with the cover that needs the big rings and the newer f-spaced ones that fit in regular rings, some covered,(rare) some not. But just judging from the pics in this thread there seem to be a few more variations on them.

Comment

Working...
                              X