'86 Model 3/4 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86 Model 3/4 questions

How do the body dimensions and pickup routs compare to one another in the model series, specifically the '86 Models?

More specifically, between the '86 Model 3 and Model 4.

Even more specifically, if I were to take a HSS '86 Model 3 pickguard and place it over an '86 Model 4, would the pickup routs match? Would it fit in terms of overall dimensions (other than the back/bottom/controls area, that is)?

The pickups might match, but the controls are complety different. Horrible idea.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I'm sure you could make it work but it would probably looked hacked for the reasons Grandturk mentioned. Can you explain why you would want to do this mod? Maybe there is another way to get there without hacking a Model 4 body.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        The pickups might match, but the controls are complety different.
        Right, unless some yahoo (me) gets it custom cut to have a back "horn" like a Fender Talon or an 80s Ibanez Blazer/Roadster, which is still probably an overwhelmingly
        Horrible idea
        but this is all strictly hypothetical at this point anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by tcwil8 View Post
          Can you explain why you would want to do this mod? Maybe there is another way to get there without hacking a Model 4 body.
          I have a couple of Model 4s on hand at the moment and am a tinkering fool by nature. I like the way pickguards look on charvels. If I didn't air the idea a bit I'd keep on thinking it's a good one worth trying.
          Last edited by scandoslav; 07-27-2009, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Why not grab some SoCal bodies? - boom, done.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Or... grab a model 3 and re-work the electronics and tremolo on it.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Yeah, but don't hack up a nice Model 4 just for the sake of DOING it. That's crazy talk.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Move a way from the dremel and drive there my friend. Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                    Yeah, but don't hack up a nice Model 4 just for the sake of DOING it. That's crazy talk.
                    Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    Move a way from the dremel and drive there my friend. Don't do it.
                    No dremelling involved, just screw holes. I'm not messing with the body rout, just screwing on a pickguard (or hypothetically would be). I'm cooling to the idea, especially after banging together a PS mockup:

...and deciding it wouldn't look nearly as good as I thought. So it goes. Disaster averted, for now.
                    Last edited by scandoslav; 07-28-2009, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Mania is fun sometimes.
                      Tried spicing things up with a dual-horned design:

Which then evolved into a Tele Deluxe sort of thing:

Which in turn became a more traditional take on a Tele:

...of which I actually quite fond. Huh.
                      And in black:
                      Last edited by scandoslav; 07-28-2009, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X