No announcement yet.

Is this a 3A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an 86 Model 2 that came standard with a Kahler fulcrum. I am guessing his guitar is a modded 1986 Model 2.

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
    Are you sure that's the Spyder? That tremolo post spacing is the same as it would be for a JT-6. If that guitar had a Kahler Fulcrum tremolo, it would also have a pickguard.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      didn't the 3A come with a blade switch? Could it be a modded Model 2?
      Yes it did.. That was why I said it had been Modded.. (5 way blade switch)
      Last edited by GTarman68; 08-04-2009, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Post a pic of the back of the body?? It should be obvious to see the "Charvel" route..

Comment

Yeah that would help I guess. But he already stated that it has a charvette neckplate, so thats what lead me to believe that it might be a charvette body. It would be interesting to see the route under that neck pickup. If its factory, then I dont know, M3a had a blade switch, if its a modified single then it might be a charvette, if its a total fabrication then it might be a modded model 2. This ones quite the mystery still. Neck pocket markings would tell the story for sure but Im sure hes not gonna pull it apart just to satisfy our morbid curiosity.

Comment

OK, I'll give you the modified model 2. That's highly probable. My mind is biased on mods because I usually go path of least resistence.

But I don't think the tremolo that was replaced was the Kahler Fulcrum. The tremolo mounting studs look (at least visually) like they are actual Floyd spaced, thus pointing to an 87/88. Someone have a picture of an 86 Model 2 to compare it to? I think the mounting studs were "inside" the pickup ring screws.
            Occupy JCF

Comment

Yes, the studs that are there now are definately floyd spaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
                Tremelo is a Kahler Killer. I have 2 of them and they are direct drop in replacements for Kahler traditional fulcrum series trems. Quite rare but very good tremelos.

Edit: Upon closer inspection it does seem to be a Kahler Spyder tremelo. If so that should be stickied somewhere that a Spyder will drop into a Kahler traditional fulcrem trem slot and the posts are the same spacing. I say this without knowing if there were mods done to redrill mounting holes or such.
                Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                Yes, the studs that are there now are definately floyd spaced.
                Am I reading all of you wrong then?

You say it's a Spyder but Jackson-Charvel says that the Spyder is the direct replacement for the Kahler Fulcrum tremolo. If that's Floyd spaced, how is that the Spyder? See the disconnect here?
                Occupy JCF

Comment

Sorry Tekky for making things more confusing. I was going by the idea if it had an original Kahler Fulcrum, the drop in replacement was a Kahler Killer.

I guess my first glance at the picture made me think Kahler Killer, as I have never seen anyone mod a Charvel with a Kahler Spyder before and the only thing a Kahler Killer would retro-fit is a Kahler Fulcrum which was on certain 1986 Charvel models.

Once someone mentioned it was a Spyder, and then upon closer inspection I could sort of see the Syder insignia as well as the unique Spyder string blocks on the trem.

It was this point I started assuming and speculating using faulty logic: 1) if guitar had original Kahler Fulcrum trem, and now has a stock replaced Kahler Spyder then they both have the same post spacings.

Faulty logic is putting it lightly as I am aware of the narrow spacing of both the Kahler Killer and the Kahler Fulcrum as I bought 2 Killers for the very sake of replacing my Fulcrums in 2 Charvels.

I actually own several Fender HM Strats with Spyders and 2 Charvels with Killers and they are completely different spacings. I have no idea how I mixed the 2 up like that. Still the guitar is a mystery.

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                  Am I reading all of you wrong then?

You say it's a Spyder but Jackson-Charvel says that the Spyder is the direct replacement for the Kahler Fulcrum tremolo. If that's Floyd spaced, how is that the Spyder? See the disconnect here?

Comment

There are only two Kahler trems that would ever fit a 1986 Charvel. The Kahler 2500 Traditional Fulcrum trem which was stock, or the drop in replacement, the Kahler 2700 series Killer trem. The tremelo on the guitar pictured is neither of those tremelos, I can post pics of both the Traditional and Killer if need be, but there is no doubt that the trem on the guitar in the pic is not one of them. Therefore, either the guitar body is not a 1986 Charvel, (could be 1987-up).

And to add more to my posting, I have absolutely no question at all now that I should absolutely read an ENTIRE thread before I post, as the information I threw out there was already stated ......only one post above mine. Oh well, redundancy (sp?) seems to be becoming a new hobby for me .
                    Last edited by bombtek; 08-05-2009, 06:28 PM.
                    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

No problem your post just re-iterates what was stated but its always good to have a second opinion that confirms previous stated info.

Comment

Working...
                      X