Help with identifying the model and year of this import Charvel body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with identifying the model and year of this import Charvel body

I bought this guitar recently on Ebay and am trying to figure out what it is. The neck has been replaced with a Chandler neck. The pickups have been replaced with EMG. I guess the body is the only Charvel part left? Its definitely an import as it has the Fort Worth neck plate. It looks a bit like a fusion or a 550xl but those had straight thru necks. Trem is Floyd Rose but not sure of the model. Any ideas?

I'm guessing the only thing Charvel about that guitar is the neck plate. It doesn't look like a Charvel body at all to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      I'm guessing the only thing Charvel about that guitar is the neck plate. It doesn't look like a Charvel body at all to me.
      +1
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Picture of the control cavity route would help.

A Fusion Deluxe, Predator and 3DR had that pickup combo, but the Deluxe has scallops which this doesn't. I don't this it's a Charvel body either.

I imagine it was cheap being a parts mutt, right? Like < $200?

Comment

One of lifes teaching moments.

Price of Charvel ripoff on Ebay $250
          Price of Shipping a Charvel ripoff $10
          Price of looking like a fool in a public forum... Priceless.

Comment

You may have overpaid a bit, but I've seen worse. Some of those Chandler necks are really nice, comparable to import C/J. Body appears to be decent wood. Back looks like mahogany, maybe. More pics and a closeup of the trem would help, but I think you may have a pretty decent parts guitar there. How does it play?

Comment

Charvette body?

Comment

I don't think so. A Charvette would have the same body shape as as a toothpaste-logo Charvel, and I believe they were all either basswood or plywood. Better pics are needed, but that really looks like mahogany to me in the shot of the neckplate.

Comment

Could be Mahagony. Very open pour wood but its kind of heavy for Mahagony. I have included some close ups of the wood and routing in the back plus closeups of the trem. Thanks for everybodies interest and help so far.

Comment

I does sound and play great. I really like the neck it is scalloped after the 12th fret. I may end up giving to my 16 year old metal head of a son.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan1 View Post
                      I does sound and play great. I really like the neck it is scalloped after the 12th fret. I may end up giving to my 16 year old metal head of a son.
                      thats a good deal man as long as it plays good and sounds great

Comment

Heck, at least it has an OFR! Looks like a cool parts guitar. Let it rip!

Comment

I remember seeing it on eBay and was really thrilled about this one !

For 250 $ with a nice body, emg pickups and an original floyd rose... you don't have to be shy at all !

Comment

I think the body is probably Chandler as well. That control cavity shape looks just like some Chandlers I've seen. It's very similar to the C/J San Dimas route, but it has the little bumps in the corners. I think it's a cool guitar. Some might argue about resale value or whatever, but I think it's worth the money you paid.

Comment

Thanks Dude,

I bought it to play and it I like it. I was just wondering how this Frankenstein came about. I usually deal with old Gibson student guitars like the melody maker the LP Jr. But this one caught my eye for some stupid reason. Of course, "full disclosure" I am normally just a singer but I lost my left pinky last year and since then I have been going guitar crazy, maybe its just the challenge.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X