trem swap jt6 to ofr good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trem swap jt6 to ofr good idea?

should i sell my jt6 of of my mint all original two hum model 3 burgundy mist to fund a german floyd? cant get the bar to stay solid and tight.is this a simple bolt on(plug n play) or do have to rig up neck shims? which is getto, to get the action bas ass.or should i just put on a ofr style trem bar on the jt6? plays awesome as it sits just no trem use
    Last edited by djford; 08-09-2009, 08:11 PM.
    2009 black sl1 usa
    fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
    Burgundy mist model 3
    black model 1 emg
    black model 3 h/s/s
    2005 pointy charvel
    2009 black rr1

I think you can swap a floyd bar and bushing on the jt6.

Comment

thanks,any more ideas?
      2009 black sl1 usa
      Burgundy mist model 3
      black model 1 emg
      black model 3 h/s/s
      2005 pointy charvel
      2009 black rr1

Comment

The JT6 is junk do yourself a favor and dump it.

Comment

I'd wear it out first. Most tuning issues with the bridge can be fixed. Then, drop in a Floyd bridge. The existing studs are fine. Leave the stringlock alone unless it has major issues.

Comment

Sure would take a long time to wear out a trim. Will it hurt the originality of the guitar 20 years down the road if it has the original fr. i know the jt6 is junk. this guitar is 100% stock i don't want to moleste it but i also want a nice fr feel as my usa soloist. i don't want any action issues. i want to drop it in and not worry about any buzzing or when you pull back on the floyd strings hitting the high frets. what millimeter block is best? do any of you guys have a nice floyd lying around? and want a jt6? i bought a model 3 off ebay with a german floyd, played like shit. the guy had the neck shimed the neck so far forward just to get it to play. so this is the reason for so many questions about fit and finish.
            Last edited by djford; 08-10-2009, 12:12 AM.
            2009 black sl1 usa
            Burgundy mist model 3
            black model 1 emg
            black model 3 h/s/s
            2005 pointy charvel
            2009 black rr1

Comment

Sure would take a long time to wear out a trim. Will it hurt the originality of the guitar 20 years down the road if it has the original fr. i know the jt6 is junk. this guitar is 100% stock i don't want to moleste it but i also want a nice fr feel as my usa soloist. i don't want any action issues. i want to drop it in and not worry about any buzzing or when you pull back on the floyd strings hitting the high frets. what millimeter block is best? do any of you guys have a nice floyd lying around? and want a jt6?
              It's an import don't worry about being original for resale. 42mm is the best for a non recessed trem.

Comment

Can't i just put original floyd style bar onto the jt6?
                2009 black sl1 usa
                Burgundy mist model 3
                black model 1 emg
                black model 3 h/s/s
                2005 pointy charvel
                2009 black rr1

Comment

Originally posted by djford View Post
                  Can't i just put original floyd style bar onto the jt6?
                  Yes. The hole for the trem bar bushing in the JT-6 is a little small for the OFR bushing, but since the baseplate is made from such soft potmetal, it is really easy to enlargen and make it fit. I think I even remember seeing someone just scrape around the edges with a screwdriver, and then pushing the OFR bushing in. Otherwise, you should at least be able to do it easily with a drill press, or a Dremel.

Comment

If you have the cash, just dump the JT6 and get the Floyd. I just did this with my Model 6 and couldn't be happier. Budman makes replacement studs for guitars that have a JT6 that are cut more angled like Floyd studs for more range rather than the squared-off JT6 studs. Took me all of 10 minutes to replace everything.
                    My gear
                    87 Charvel Model 6
                    86 Charvel Model 4
                    93 Jackson RR EX
                    93 Jackson Kelly STD
                    88 Ibanez RG560
                    99 Schecter Diamond C-7
                    Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Originally posted by Glave View Post
                      If you have the cash, just dump the JT6 and get the Floyd. I just did this with my Model 6 and couldn't be happier. Budman makes replacement studs for guitars that have a JT6 that are cut more angled like Floyd studs for more range rather than the squared-off JT6 studs. Took me all of 10 minutes to replace everything.
                      +10 Althought the existing JT6 trem studs will work with a original floyd, I recommend the trem inserts from Dave (Budman). Deeper grooves for much better precision in diving and returning.

Comment

I'm about to undertake this same swap for my soloist, with the trem inserts from Dave. I can't wait to see the difference

Comment

i went to fretsonthenet and got myself an ofr trem bar and put that in my jt-6
                          its fine, the problem was that i could never get the jt-6 bar to stay stable, the bushing was always a little loose so it could move back and forth a little without actually changing pitch, which was real irritating, now that i put the floyd bar on it, its fine, and much better too, my jt-6 bar snapped!! the floyd bar feels alot more solid.
                          although i do have an early german chrome floyd lyring round not being used i'd be willing to trade for a jt-6, the bar is missing though, its the screw in type
                          peace
                          -John

Comment

Budman rocks, but one thing you should know is that his replacement studs are slotted for a screwdriver instead of having a hex adjustment. Not a huge deal, but kind of a negative IMHO.

Comment

yeah i know that this has been discussed a lot and most of you are pointing me in the direction of a ofr which i pretty much knew the answer. i was just wondering about being a perfect fit. i noticed in some other threads that the ofr might be little wider then the jt6.

who is budman? give me a link.

need a black one.
                              Last edited by djford; 08-10-2009, 09:21 PM.
                              2009 black sl1 usa
                              Burgundy mist model 3
                              black model 1 emg
                              black model 3 h/s/s
                              2005 pointy charvel
                              2009 black rr1

Comment

Working...
                              X