Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SLSMG, poor quality Binding

Hi,

after only reading in this forum for some years, this is my first Thread in this Forum, so at first i want to say hello to everybody.

I just bought a new SLSMG from an Online-Store.
    One thing i noticed is that the binding is uneven in some places and the Transition between paint and binding is no straight line.
    It's more "serrated".

Is this the normal case for a todays MIJ SLS or did I receive a lemon and an exchange would do fine?

I will add some Images when i find some Webspace.

Welcome. If you bought it from a shop rather than an ebayer, take the fucker back ASAP and get a replacement or refund.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Thx,

hi, no it's not from Ebay^^. I ordered it from an LocalStore which also owns an online shop.

Comment

How is it "uneven"? Maybe post a pic?

It is somewhat normal to see slight jaggedness on the top side where it has been scraped even with the fretboard. SLIGHT unevenness. If it looks jagged like "serrated" then yeah, sounds defective.

Where the painted neck meets the binding, it should look like a straight line, unless they didn't mask it properly. Again, take it back, it's a defect.

DO NOT suck it up and deal with it, or accept a discount from the store. Insist on a good one. I am convinced the only way this kind of stuff gets any better in general is when it starts affecting the bottom line, and having the store eat a hundred bucks worth of profit to shut you up isn't gonna do it.

I would like to see a pic either way.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          How is it "uneven"? Maybe post a pic? .
          With uneven i meant that the width of the Binding varies for some mm.

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          I would like to see a pic either way.
          As I am not allowed to attach Files at this time, I linked some Pics and hope it works.
          To see the Pics in fullsize just click the pic on the linked Site.

Last edited by StealthPro; 08-28-2009, 07:56 PM. Reason: // more Pics

Comment

Yeah, probably not well masked off when they sprayed it. A little of that is acceptable, but yours has the most extreme case I've seen.

Comment

Yeah, definitely looks like it bled under the tape a little. I've seen worse, it's hard to say how bad it would look in person, but it looks pretty sloppy in the larger-than-life pictures.

Depending on how good the rest of the guitar is, and how bad it really looks (like, I cain't see up close too good without mah readin' glasses) I might let that slide.

Comment

Hi thanks for your answers!
                I'd say from a 1m distance you won't recognize it that much or even see it.
                Depends on your Eyes^^.

The variation of width of the binding you'll still recognize from that distance.
                But all in all, i really have to say that i am not that happy with the quality.
                And after all your Answers i'm more and more tending to send it back and get my money back.
                I paid a bit more than 1000€ (with a Jackson case).

Comment

Maybe some of the users here, could post pics of their Binding so i'd have something to compare with?

Comment

here you go... http://www.pic-upload.de/view-2955344/DSC_0266.jpg.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ma! View Post
                      thank you for your picture.
                      I'd say it looks a bit jagged too.
                      But from your pic i'd say that mine looks worse.

Comment

Honestly I can see what your talking about in close up ,but I can't imagine it's that noticeable at normal distance...if the guitar plays ok it wouldn't bother me one jot

However it's your dime!

Comment

well, mine plays like a dream im glad that i didnt buy a gibson explorer and if im honest, with naked eye, it doesnt look sloppy work at all. But yeah, yours looks a little worse.

Comment

If you're not happy, That's what's important. Send it back or you may always regret buying it. Lot of money spent to regret it.
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

After trying another SLSMG which had even more obvious flaws in the binding, i finally decided to keep it.
                              With that in mind another strong reason for keeping it was, that my seller offered me a refund of 110€.

Thank you for all the answers given in this Thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X