Identification Help (with pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification Help (with pics)

Hi, I just picked this up today and have been searching everywhere to figure out even what model it is. It looks like a...well...the pictures speak better than I can.

I figure it's an import due to the bolt-on neck, and 7 digit serial...

THANK YOU!!!

I believe that is a DXMGT
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      I believe that is a DXMGT
      Thanks so much. I did a search for that model and the pictures look just like it.

And it makes me feel pretty good about the $179 price tag, used of course. It has some very small nicks here and there but nothing you can see from 2 feet away.

The strings look decent but I think I'm going to swap them out shortly.

Comment

I'd totally have one (or two) for $179! Nice score.

If you start hating that neck let me know tho. lol
        |My CSG gallery|
        (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
          I'd totally have one (or two) for $179! Nice score.

If you start hating that neck let me know tho. lol
          Heck, I'm just learning (teaching myself)....what's up with the neck? I like the 3+3 style, I know some people don't.

Any idea what they went for new?
          Last edited by jpitt916; 09-16-2009, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Great axe for the price. Congratulations. You should oil the fret board with lemon oil or straight linseed oil--it looks really dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              Great axe for the price. Congratulations. You should oil the fret board with lemon oil or straight linseed oil--it looks really dry.
              Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have known to do that. I better look up a general care guide.

Comment

I love my Jacksons but dammit would it kill them to put model #'s on their guitars like everyone else does?
                "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion."

Comment

Originally posted by ef_in_fla View Post
                  I love my Jacksons but dammit would it kill them to put model #'s on their guitars like everyone else does?
                  LOL Apparently. I have a Michael Kelly Patriot Premium also...says it right on it! I got it used also, flawless, $350, but I'm taking it back because I'm going overseas, it's my first guitar, and I'd be extremely upset if something happened to it. With a <$200 investment that's already got some markings, I wouldn't be as upset. It's a sexy guitar though.

Comment

Serial # puts this around 2004. Made in Japan. I think these were $399 or $499
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Nothing wrong with those necks at all... I've just been hoping to stumble onto a cool neck for a project I've been cooking up. What I really want is one of the oddball 3+3 piranha inlay necks.
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                        Nothing wrong with those necks at all... I've just been hoping to stumble onto a cool neck for a project I've been cooking up. What I really want is one of the oddball 3+3 piranha inlay necks.
                        Yeah, those are interesting also. Seems like GC/GF have gotten multiple "special" runs in the past.

Thanks RacerX, I was reading reviews at Harmony-Central, seems like most people paid $400-$425 new. Good call.

Man I cleaned/oiled the fingerboard (looks a lot better), cleaned/polished/waxed the body, and put some new strings on. What a difference a new set of strings make! holy crap, it sounded good before but now...what a difference.
                        Last edited by jpitt916; 09-17-2009, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpitt916 View Post
                          Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have known to do that. I better look up a general care guide.
                          Glad it helped. I like the way it darkens the rosewood and even seems to tighten the grain a bit. I did mine two or three times and now it looks great. Probably won't have to do it again in a long time either.

If you have to refinish the back of the neck (the maple part) you can use either linseed oil (which is what I did) or Birchwood Casey Gunstock Tru-oil (which is what Jackson uses). Both products allow oil and grime from your hands to permeate into the wood and over time the maple can get dirty. I always make sure my hands are clean before playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                            If you have to refinish the back of the neck (the maple part) you can use either linseed oil (which is what I did) or Birchwood Casey Gunstock Tru-oil (which is what Jackson uses). Both products allow oil and grime from your hands to permeate into the wood and over time the maple can get dirty. I always make sure my hands are clean before playing.
                            Why would he have to refinish an import neck that's got a matte satin finish on it? Only the USA models get oiled.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                            X