Touch up Paint/Clearcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touch up Paint/Clearcoat

So I pick up my brand new Dominion the other day. Give it a once over, and I found a small chip in the clear coat. PISS ME OFF! I know it wasn't me, it must have been my old lady moving shit around the house. Of course she won't admit to it. So what is the best to touch up knicks and dings in these guitars?

Same as any other poly finished guitar... Super glue drop fill. It's not easy though, IMO doesn't always look better than the chip, and one slip and you could end up with a big mess that looks far worse than the little chip did. Regular touch-up paint from Pep Boys can also work, but it's a little soft, and doesn't stick that well.

Or, you could, you know, just live with it, because it's a guitar and it's going to get more chips and scratches and dings.

Comment

If you do the super glue be sure NOT to get the gel stuff because it takes days to dry. Then you still have to sand and polish to make it look good. I've also heard to use nail polish but never tried that.
      "Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion."

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        Or, you could, you know, just live with it, because it's a guitar and it's going to get more chips and scratches and dings.
        I don't gig out any more so I baby my gear but if you play a guitar, things happen and they get dinged/dented/scratched. As long as it's not structural, I don't sweat it because it's not worth the hassle. Lack of dents and dings doesn't make me play any better.

Comment

repair

I got a repair to do to one of Sean's guitars a good 2 inches width, I will try to do the area first, and if it doesn't work then it will have to be a whole restrip job....more work.

The recent one done had a few pin head marks missing but i managed to touch them in with 2k then polish out carefully.

I will let you know how i go with the repair as soon as i get the guitar.

Comment

Working...
          X