NEW TOY :) RX10D- Advice welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW TOY :) RX10D- Advice welcome!

Hey guys! I've been noodling around the forum lately. I'm an Ibanez fan but also love the Jacksons. I'm looking to add some to the collection Anyway I finally got me a Rhoads. It's pretty sweet. However it needs some TLC to get 'er up to snuff.

A few things. I bought from a lady who bought it for her daughter new last year. Her daughter liked it because of the polka dots LOL. Go figure.:ROTF:

Why the TLC?...
    First she dropped it on the big point and lopped a chunk off the back edge of the point. I will figure out how to fix that. I've done guitar builds over the years. If anyone has had to repair an RR's point before I'm open to suggestions. Bondo?

A few things I'm not nuts about:
    1) The guitar's strap locks are a little funny. Their placement makes the guitar front heavy. Any suggestions? I don't mind relocating them.

2) The Cable jack is on the lower wing, interfering with my leg... should a 90 degree cable end solve that?

Looking forward to your replies guys

A lot of people re-locate the front strap pin so that it's attached to one of the front bolts securing the neck. The 90 degree jack cable is the easy solution and that's the way I went with my Charvel Avenger that has the socket in the same place.
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Ewww...polka dotz! :P

Just kidding!

A 90 degree jack cable should work fine. I used one with my RR-X that also had the jack in the lower wing.

Mine was neck heavy as well. Moving the front strap pin to the forward edge of the neck plate improves it. Personally, I'd rather drill a hole in the plate for the strap pin screw, than mess with the neck screws.

As for the damage to the tip; if it's just a small chunk of wood missing, I'd just cover it up with matching nail polish or something. If it's a larger piece of wood that is gone, I suspect that bondo would be the easiest fix.
      Last edited by Sunbane; 09-20-2009, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
        Well problem with the big chip solved. I just ground down the edge on my pedestal grinder into a point and painted the end. Looks awesome.

Now I just need to solve the irritating neck tipping issue.

Comment

I have a LTD RL-600 and it was extremely neck heavy until I relocated the straplock more behind the guitar. As for the 90 degree cable that seemed to work alright for me, but it definitely drove me nuts.
          "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

I drilled a hole for the strap pin in the plate at the top center edge, so it's placed like they are on the RR5 and RR1's.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I had the same problem with nosedives on my RR Concept. Moving the strap button to the top right neck plate position fixed that problem.

If you're up for it install a Strat Style output jack. It works great.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...t=86419&page=3

Comment

Working...
              X