Info on Performer Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Performer Rhoads

Picked up a Jackson Performer Rhoads at a pawn shop for almost next to nothing. The serial on the neck plate is 8633181. Any info on what year it was made would be helpful. Is this an MIJ? I am in the process of cleaning it up and swapping the pickups. I will post pics as soon as I get her fixed up!
    Jackson DK2M Red Ghost Flame
    Jackson Performer RR
    Ibanez RG7421 w/Blaze's
    Fender Acoustic
    Blackstar HT-5 head
    Blackheart 1X12 cabinet
    Rocktron Xpression effects rack

Gonna be mid 90s. I don't know anything about that ser # type, your guitar may have been made in Japan or Korea.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Sounds like a PS3 to me. If it has a Schaller knock off then there's agood chance it's MIJ but NOTHING is set in stone. Post picks and we can better judge where it was made.
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

If it is a Performer it should be made in Korea.

Comment

AFAIK you can tell the origin by the twelvth fret dot-spacing.
          the korean ones are far away from each other.
          the performer line itself doesn't necessarily stand for korea at all IMO.

this one looks like MIK:

this one like MIJ:

edit: oh, and ignore the PUs, knobs and trem on the upper one, it has been heavily modded, but I couldn't find a better pic at the moment.
          Last edited by micha; 09-24-2009, 08:31 PM.
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

If we don't notice those, what is there to notice?
            I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

the space between the dots on twelvth fret? :think:

Comment

I own 2 performers a PS2 and a PS4. The PS4 was MIJ and the PS2 was MIK. The fret markers are generally the tell tale sign.
                It's pronounced soops

Comment

johnmac, here's a scan of the Performer brochure from 1995: http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=60

Not that legible, but better than a stick in the eye...
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    johnmac, here's a scan of the Performer brochure from 1995: http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=60

Not that legible, but better than a stick in the eye...
                    RacerX, thanks for the picture. It looks to be MIJ by judging what you guys are telling me. My wife is out of town and has the camera today... I will post pics tonight.
                    Jackson Performer RR
                    Ibanez RG7421 w/Blaze's
                    Fender Acoustic
                    Blackstar HT-5 head
                    Blackheart 1X12 cabinet

Comment

Here is a pic of the guitar. I swapped the pickups and had to replace the saddles on the lic. floyd. The electronics are wired wrong, so I will have to repair that as well.

Jackson Performer RR
                      Ibanez RG7421 w/Blaze's
                      Fender Acoustic
                      Blackstar HT-5 head
                      Blackheart 1X12 cabinet

Comment

this one looks like it's MIJ to me.
                        these are nice guitars. one of these was my first jackson, I played the hell out of it and still love the neck.
                        only the trem broke where the wammybar is attached, I tried to repair it, but it didn't work out so far. I think I might just block it.

but great players they are IMO.

Comment

yeah looks just like my old PS3-T

Comment

[QUOTE=micha;1285569]AFAIK you can tell the origin by the twelvth fret dot-spacing.
                            the korean ones are far away from each other.
                            the performer line itself doesn't necessarily stand for korea at all IMO.
                            moment.[QUOTE]

100% right!

My first Jackson was also a Ps3 with a TOM bridge.
                            It still plays great but the bridge pretty much disappeared from all the sweat. Means: Hardware = BS-Quality

Comment

AFAIK the Performer series came from the Concept series that was made in 1993 which was Jackson's attempt to make guitars in Korea so they could be more affordable without endangering the Professional name. Similar to the original shift to making Jackson guitars in Japan under the Professional name when they phased out Charvel. I have not yet seen a Performer with anything that hints MIJ. Everyone one that I have seen with anything was black/gold stickers that say MIK. I have seen some hints that later years around 1998-1999 have had some Performers MIJ but I am skeptical because the cost would be nowhere near each other at that time. I could be wrong but history does have a way of proving itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X