New old Professional Day:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old Professional Day:)

Well I just got this badboy today. Got it on the Bay' after I got a bad case of old Japanese Jackson GAS. It is a 92 or 93 Dinky Reverse in Stone finish. It shows the play wear of a 17 year old guitar on the maple board and has some wear on the Schaller, but I wanted a reliced guitar and instead of this one looking like someone took a sander to it, it looks like it was played for years, but not abused. The body has not a single ding or blemish on it unbelievably and there are no neck pocket cracks also awesome for an old bolt on guitar. The frets also show basically 0 wear and the neck is straight as an arrow with very low action. There are a couple of headstock dings, but come on it's old. It came with a Duncan JB/Jazz set which sound okay, but the guitar is basswood so they are not the best choice. The JB is too trebly. I ordered a Tonezone/Air Norton set for it which will arrive and be installed tommorrow. Also I plan on going more hair spray and leather pants with it I will hint to that in the last pic. :hbang:

I have one of those too and it plays like a mofo. The finish on the fretboards wore real easy on those, mine looks like it was destroyed but the frets were in good shape. Excellent score grats
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Nice, I've always liked the spray on stone finish ones. It looks like it's in nice shape and got a lot of playing time. I agree too, that if they could make relics actually look like that then I wouldn't dislike the whole relic movement.

As an aside, does anybody know if its a good idea to use tung oil or something like that on the spots where the clear has worn off, or will the just accellerate the rest lifting off?
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had a Rhoads V in the Stone Finish. Definitely dated.

Comment

You could always take some steel wool or very fine grit sandpaper to the board to get it back to looking clean again and then tung oil it, but I think I am going to leave this as is. I am guessing the boards were left unfinished, hence why they wear that way. Hopefully the board on my Caparison holds up better as it is unfinished and I don't want the relic'd look on it. Even though the bridge pickup looks like it's been to hell and back

Comment

very nice guitars, man. That Cap has me feeling all kind of Evergrey....
            Hail yesterday

Comment

There it is! I sold you that. Looks better in your pics than the ones I had for the ebay listing...granted I took 'em with a cell phone Hope you enjoy that. I played it some and thought the neck was just great. Just my opinion, but I'd leave the neck alone and not try to clean it. It was unfinished so the wear spots will come back anyway. I also just sold a DK2M, nice guitar, but this older one you got just seemed to have a better feel, tone, and neck. Glad to see you're happy with it!!

p.s. this guitar has a poplar body.
              2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
              BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
              BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
              Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
              Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

lol, just saw your post in ultimate guitar. Nice one. Get better feedback here though dont you?

Comment

Originally posted by usa dk1 View Post
                  There it is! I sold you that. Looks better in your pics than the ones I had for the ebay listing...granted I took 'em with a cell phone Hope you enjoy that. I played it some and thought the neck was just great. Just my opinion, but I'd leave the neck alone and not try to clean it. It was unfinished so the wear spots will come back anyway. I also just sold a DK2M, nice guitar, but this older one you got just seemed to have a better feel, tone, and neck. Glad to see you're happy with it!!

p.s. this guitar has a poplar body.

Thanks man. I about to do the pickup swap on it right now. As for the poplar body where did you get that info? I found original catalog scans from 92-93 and they list it as having a basswood body. Here is one. I would prefer poplar over basswood, but it really doesn't matter to much.

Comment

Huh...maybe it is basswood and we're just mis-informed. The guitar did have great acoustic resonance. When my friend had bought it he had it in his store when the Jackson rep. was there. The guy from Jackson said it was a poplar bodied guitar, but who's to say he's right either. I personally believe the archived catalog scan. Anyway, best of luck with the pickup swap. I'm not too much of a fan of SD pups as I prefer DiMarzio super distortions in the bridge position on my guitars. Give an update on the pickup swap when you get it done
                    2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
                    BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
                    BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
                    Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
                    Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

Yeah I'm not a Duncan guy either. I already have the JB/Jazz sold. I am usually a BKP guy, but am going more budget on this one. I do like Dimarzios though and have used them for many years before I ever knew what a bareknuckle pickup was. Off to solder.

Comment

Well I have had this for not even 24 hours and it has already made a transformation. I think it looks killer now and the TZ/AN combo sound teriffic. I'm very happy with it. Also cleaned the trem up a bit and set it up with bigger strings. Plays like a champ.

Comment

The purple works!

The purple works great with that body color. Had the same model but sold it recently to a friend's son, who loves the guitar. Those necks are amazing!

Comment

I have the twin to that Dinky Rev. (well, before the transformation ). I've had it for almost 6 months and have yet to play it, being that one of the frets has lifted slightly on one end and needs to be fixed. I'm very interested to hear how the new pickups sound, being that I'll be swapping them out as soon as she is playable. Very nice axe dude!

Comment

One more update thanks to the fine folks at Sperzel. And if anyone is wondering, yes Sperzel buttons will fit on Jackson tuners.

Comment

Working...
                              X