Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2S quality?

Hello everyone.

I've got a BC RICH PX3T assassin (ofr, duncan blackouts, ebony fretboard, neckthrough...) and I would like to know how is the dk2s compared to my guitar, qualitywise? Got offer from someone, who would like to trade guitars. The guy says it's transblack and midpickup has been changed to dimarzio tonezone. I'm actually really tempted by this offer, since it has got sustainiac, duncan JB and that tonezone.. But not really too keen on lfr (as probably i would eventually have to swap it with ofr or schaller or whatever) and the fact, that it's bolt-on.

What's your imput on this? Any opinions about quality of the guitar or should I make the trade or not, are welcome.

Greetings from Finland!

-Jari
    Gear currently owned:

Ibanez RG3120TW '02, Ibanez Roadstar 440P, Samick valley arts custom pro bass, Charvel model 5
    Line 6 Pod x3 live, diy Madamp M15mk1

Being that this is a Jackson forum and we all love Jacksons....well the choice if obvious!

But seriously, I think that's more or less your personal preference. If you can try the DK2S and see how you like it, how it feels and plays and meshes with your personal style, I'd say you should base your decision off of that. Now if you're just looking to resell the guitar or keep as an investment or something, I have no idea. But otherwise, keep the guitar that suits you and play the hell out of it!
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Given you have a guitar with a genuine OFR, ebony board and neckthrough, I'd say stick with that.
      I'd like a DK2S myself, but I wouldn't swap a DK2 of any sort for something neckthrough and with an OFR, but that's just my personal preference. I do like the DK2 range.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The DK2's are great guitars. I personally like bolt ons better for some reason. But for cash value the BCR would be worth more being neckthrough, OFR, ebony board, and the blackouts/
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

I would stick with the BC Rich, but like everyone has said try the Dinky before you make a decision.

Comment

I haven't been overly impressed with the current Korean made guitars in the $500 - $1000 price range - good on paper but a bit plastic-y feelwise. I owned a new B.C. Rich similar in specs to your PX3T and I would have swapped it for a DK2S. But that's me: I like bolt-ons anyway.

Try it and go by feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ZZB View Post
              Try it and go by feel.
              +1 feel is always the deciding factor in my book.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Oh well, I decided to stick with the bc rich. Tried out couple of dk2's, and found out that my PX3T is far better, for me anyway. Might have to try out some other pups, since these blackouts just feel too "one trick pony" for me. I mean, they're friggin great for technical metal I play, but as I like to play some "mellow" stuff too, they just don't do it good enough. Any ideas which pups I should try out? I've been thinking over some DiMarzios, like Evolution in bridge (or perhaps evo2? Heard good things about those..) and tone zone or maybe a Steve Morse model on neck? Hmmm... Steve Morse in bridge could be nice too. Just love those harmonics that Morse gets.
                Gear currently owned:

Ibanez RG3120TW '02, Ibanez Roadstar 440P, Samick valley arts custom pro bass, Charvel model 5

Comment

Originally posted by froststorm View Post
                  Oh well, I decided to stick with the bc rich. Tried out couple of dk2's, and found out that my PX3T is far better, for me anyway. Might have to try out some other pups, since these blackouts just feel too "one trick pony" for me. I mean, they're friggin great for technical metal I play, but as I like to play some "mellow" stuff too, they just don't do it good enough. Any ideas which pups I should try out? I've been thinking over some DiMarzios, like Evolution in bridge (or perhaps evo2? Heard good things about those..) and tone zone or maybe a Steve Morse model on neck? Hmmm... Steve Morse in bridge could be nice too. Just love those harmonics that Morse gets.
                  If you like the pups for the main style you play i wouldn't change them. I would buy a different guitar for the mellow stuff. Besides if you are looking to buy a set of Dimarzios thats about $200 right there, even more if you want to have someone install them. You could put that towards another guitar. If a "one trick pony" does one trick really well, then why change it to do all things average?

Comment

That's a good point, mate. Maybe I'll put on some dimarzios on my strat, after I have modded it to hardtail. And I also have to decide what pups I will put on my baritone superstrat, after I have finished building it..
                    Gear currently owned:

Comment

Working...
                    X