Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Dinky's + Dimarzio X2N

a match made in heaven or what?

Jeri (guitarsjb) and Joe (toejam) used to always say that X2N's + Jackson's was a killer combination but I never paid attention. Now that I'm enjoying the "guitars straight into amp" setup, the X2N brings out fat, rich distortion from the Mark IV with the lead gain just around 6. So, if anyone's out there still contemplating, you cant go wrong!!
    Sam

Better than an EMG because i have a DK2t that i was originaly going to put a Tone Zone in but i decided to opt for somthing with more gain, but i cant decide between an Emg 81/85 on X2N or a bill Lawrence L500 XL.

Comment

Same here, I have a Trans-black DK2T. Sometime last year, I tried an EMG 81 followed by an EMG 85 in the bridge position. Did not like it. There is a mid-range "honk" sound which I just cant dial out of the EMG's. The blackout metal (I've read) seems to have eliminated that sound but its far too expensive.

With the X2N, the tone is fat, thick and creamy. Mark IV, TL-2 distortion pedal and the line 6 spider all give out great tones and I'm glad I took the X2N plunge. its so good that my el-cheapo Crate V33 head with an OD pedal (level maxed) gives out great metal tones. I was so surprised! I could not get anything but fat mid-rangey blues type rock tones with that amp before. I was running it clean with a TL-2.
      Sam

Comment

Thanks for the input man, ill check it out when i get my extra grande Arbys pacheck (can you cetch the irony in that statement).

Comment

Sam

Comment

Has anyone compaired the X2N to the 500XL (any flavor)?

I have Bill Lawrence USA pickups (OEM) in a 95 RR1 and the kick serious ass for playing thrash (old school Metallica).

When you describe the X2N as creamy, that's not what I'm hearing with the 500XLs. I'm hearing scooped.

Comment

i have a jackson dk2 eerie swirl, with a X2N in the bridge and i love the high-output.

i just play through a mg100gdfx half stack w/metal muff distortion pedal, it sounds pretty fucking good though.
              yermsayin?

Comment

Rock on!
                Sam

Comment

I loved the X2N in my old Kramer, then put it in my old Charvel Model 6 and found it a little bright in that. It sounded great in my old Warrior MG body with PS4 neck (and a Super 2 for the neck position). I eventually wound up selling that body to Newc (which he turned into the Halford Warrior) , the neck went to somebody else, and the X2N went to Jeri...
                  I've now got a zebra X2N laying around that needs to go into something eventually... also with the Super 2 still laying around!
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm looking for another X2N for my SL2HT. I still haven't made my mind though. Let me know if you want to sell it.
                    Sam

Comment

Not sure if I'm going to sell it yet. It's supposed to go in my black Hamer to replace the JB, but I've changed my mind at the moment.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yep, X2N's rock. No worries, we're used to no one paying attention LOL

Comment

hell, it makes the 15 watt Spider sound so good! I want a third X2N for my yellow bengal SL2HT. Its tone is fatter than the DK2M's. I cant stop thinking about the yellow X2N on the fleabay. Just that it costs twice more than what I paid used for the other two. Decisions!!
                          Sam

Comment

I liked the X2N quite a bit, but I thought the sound was a little too scooped for my taste. It has plenty of bass and treble, but I like lots of midrange in my tone.

Other than that; Awesome pickup! It has loads of output, but isn't muddy; perfect for tight, palm-muted riffs. It reminds me of an EMG in that aspect, but with a more "natural" sound. It has a really great singlecoil sound as well, when split.

One of these days, I will have to get one again and keep in a guitar for the sake of sonic diversity.

Comment

Working...
                            X