Kelly Project (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Project (Pics)

I had been searching for a Kelly for a while now, looking for one that was in serious need of a redo. I've always had Charvels or Jacksons, and my last name is Kelly, so I had to have one. I also was curious about a rebuild, so why not. I picked up this Kelly on FleaBay a little while back. I believe it was listed as a KE-3. It was in kind of a mess shape, but for $130 with a hardshell Jackson case I couldn't go wrong. I had a feeling it wasn't a KE-3 based on the cavity route. All of those seem to be angled and narrow, not sort of triangular like the one on mine. Tonight I start to pull her apart, and in the neck cavity is "XL." Now I know this to be considered a better guitar than a KE-3 so of course I'm happy. It definitely is a swapped out neck, as it has no binding. I hate the neck anyway, since someone decided to scallop only the higher frets, gouging out the sharkfins and all.

So here come the questions...

1. Is it ok that I go all custom on this thing as that was what I was originally planning to do? I wanted to take a crack at a somewhat custom finish. I've also snagged another neck (see pics below), that I believe to be from a DK2. Looks to never had been played, brand new. Not original, but closer to original than the disaster on there now. Or should I be trying to go all original and find a Kelly XL neck. I've never sold one of my guitars, I get all attached to em, and can't let em go, so I'm not too concerned with resale value, just wondering if it's sacrilege to built a parts guitar out of one of these guys.

2. These pickups also seem to be shot. I'm curious what new pickups would be a great match for this guitar. I put SD Blackouts in my DKMG and like the tone, but don't want to replicate that exact tone in this guitar. I actually prefer the tone in my stock Model 4's pups. I'm more of a classic rock to classic metal kind of player, no big drop tunings or death metal type stuff.

3. The tremolo has me a bit puzzled. It has no stamp indicating a Jackson copy Floyd or any other markings besides the Floyd license blah blah... Is this the original JT580Lp that this was supposed to come with? If not, and maybe even if it is, I'd like to improve it. Would an Original Floyd Low Pro fit in this route or is there something better I should slap in there? I would like something that fits in there without any modification to the body.

4. Is there any way to tell from the markings in the neck pocket what year this thing is? Not overly important, but I'm always curious.

Anyway below are some pics, and I'll keep the thread updated with fresher pics as the project progresses. Thanks for any help!

New DK2? neck...

New neck on top, old to be replaced one on bottom...

***Edit....Actually just realized, my replacement neck is from a DXMG not a DK2...duh, it's stamped on the end of the neck.***
    Last edited by BayRocker; 10-24-2009, 06:40 AM. Reason: Stupidity!
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

Nice score, good price for a refin too!! My thought on the neck is how thick do you like, and how much do you like MOP as opposed to MOTO inlays. The original neck has real MOP, "Professional" on the HS, and is real thin. My favorite neck so far out of all mine. I haven't seen too many of them around but when I have they're at least $250 on ebay. My DKMG is a bit thicker and I assume is the same or really close to the DXMG. So it's really preference. And just for info, if you like the reverse, the XLR neck is the same as an XL with a reverse neck.
    I have a JB/Jazz in mine and I like them. Others don't. I've heard quite a few say the stock model 4/6, etc. have the sound your looking for. 84sups has a set in classifieds if you don't want aftermarket. Obviously you'll need a different neck pup...
    My '94 XL has a Takeuchi JT580LP which the one on yours is not. Kinda dark in the pics, can't really tell that yours is exactly. Looks like the thick screws for the string blocks.... JT500 maybe?

Oh.... as for the "is it OK" thing... I'm not a keep it original nostalgia guy so I say it's yours now.... Make it that way!!
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Got a better pic of the trem just can't see it clearly.
      Yeah do what you want paint wise.My suggestion have one of the guys here do your paint work its quite a hassle if you have never done one.More to it than just stripping and repainting.
      If the paint is still good you could just scuff it and add a graphic or flames/whatever.
      For me the new DK2 necks feel pretty good just a tad thicker than the original XL necks.
      I just shaved down a DK2 neck for a customer and got it pretty close to the size of my XL neck.
      Should make a killer kelly when you get done.You landed one of the better bodies looks to be a 95 or so.The earlier ones had a neck plate.
      Great score for little bucks thats the way to do it.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of the trem in daylight conditions...

I find it strange that there are no markings as to what brand of trem this is, no Jackson, no nothing...

My questions about the trem are more like, will a true Floyd lo pro fit in this route without any mods?

I came across an XL neck on the Bay, but $555 BIN is a bit steep for me on this one. I like the neck on my DKMG so slapping a DXMG neck on this one should be just fine. I do prefer the MOP inlays, but can live without em.

Comment

Looks good. I'll be watching this thread
          SACRILEGE

Guitars: Jackson King V, Jackson Kelly, Jackson DXMG, Jackson DK2M, Squier Stratocaster MIJ '85 and B.C Rich Whitelock
          Amps: Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Marshall Valvestate 8100 and Peavey Windsor halfstacks.

Comment

That trem looks exactly like the JT500 on my Kelly. If it is, then no, an OFR will not fit the route without modification. A Schaller will fit, and is a much better trem from the advice I have been given.
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
              That trem looks exactly like the JT500 on my Kelly. If it is, then no, an OFR will not fit the route without modification. A Schaller will fit, and is a much better trem from the advice I have been given.
              Then you have a JT580LP trem not the JT500. The JT500 has the same dimensions as a Schaller/JT590 trem.

And an OFR will swap right into the cavity on that. I've done it on my DK2M mutt.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

That trem looks like a JT580LP. Schaller will fit. OFR string tightening screws might hit the back of the cavity

Comment

It's been a while, and I'm taking it real slow with this one...want it done right, but I've got a few updates to this project.

I got it all sanded down, and test fit an Original Floyd Rose (made in Germany by Schaller) and it fit without any mods needed. Filled in the neck pickup and the volume pot hole. Wanted the volume out of the way, and I think Kellys look better with just one hum. Filled the pup route with a block of poplar to match the original body's wood type, and filled with wood filler. Lots and lots of sanding over a month period. Kept filling, and resanding to get it to where you couldn't tell it ever had a neck route at all.

Here are some shots after a few coats of primer and sanding. Then three coats of heirloom white wetsanded down to a smooth as silk finish.

Next in line is getting the graphic masked off. I'm doing a rising sun Japanese flag design. I've always wanted one in that graphic. Still a long way to go, but it's getting there, and I enjoy the process. I do very little at a time.

I've also got a DiMarzio Crunch Lab ready to go into this baby.
                  Till the next update....

Comment

Good job!
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Nice project! Inspires me to tackle one of my own. Thanks for sharing, the Kelly looks awesome.

Comment

I have a 1985 USA Rising Sun Kelly

I would like to see her twin And maybe this will get you a few ideas...

Good job so far!
                        Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Bobby8, it appears I was already using your guitar, or one just like it for ideas....I found this pic somewhere along the way when I was looking for ideas...

In the end I basically just copied this one instead...

I flirted with the idea of writing "Kelly" in Japanese in the middle of the sun, since it's a Kelly, and my name is Kelly, but my son talked me out of it.

Here are some up to date pics...

Here's the guitar all masked off for the graphic...

Here it is after 2 coats of red and some wetsanding to get rid of the orange peel...

Next up, several coats of clear, and lots more sanding and buffing...

Comment

Great work man that Kelly is going to be rocking!!!

sigpic
                            Action Jackson

Comment

Yes! That is so sexy

And yes, that is my Kelly with old EMGs in it. Glad it was an inspiration to you, your Kelly will look badass \m/
                              Two guitars are better than one.

Comment

Working...
                              X