Strap buttons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strap buttons?

Ok, here is the deal: i got a new guitar! A brand new snow white RR24 - pics will follow in time!

Now, one little problem: this guitar has slightly larger strap buttons than what i thought was 'normal'. The strap button can't go through the hole of a Planet Waves locking strap for example (it's a bad idea on a RR anyway) and a normal leather strap feels unsafe because when you put it on the leather flaps can't close all the way around the button like they do on my other guitars. Maybe it would be fine on a strat body, but the way a V hangs makes it even more unsafe.

Any tips/advice on what strap i should get for my RR24? I can improvise a lock as a temporary solution, but i'd like to know if any particular brands or models are a good fit. I don't want to change the strap buttons either.

Thank you!

I use Schaller strap locks on my RR3 they seem to work just fine, although I moved the neck button towards the neck by half an inch or so. Guitar Center has them for like $16.00.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Jackson strap buttons are oversized so you won't need to get different buttons. I use a leather strap on my RR1T and have no need for other buttons. If you want, after you put the strap on, you can just put a washer over the button for extra protection.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i replace all my buttons with Dunlop Strap locks. (the Schaller ones pull my hair)
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I don't know where you come from, or what kind of beer you like,
          but I know that the closing mechanism of flensburger pilsener (mmmmmhhhhh...... ) for example contain a seal that does a good job protecting your guitar from slipping of the strap.

maybe you have something similar where you live.
          just take this ring (red in the picture) of the bottle and place it between strap and strap button.
          it should work pretty good actually.
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

oh; and congrats on the RR24!! these are nice guitars!

Comment

I've never needed to replace any of my Jackson strap buttons. They are a bitch to get strap on and off, but that's a good thing once it's on, right?

Having said that, I've never owned a Rhoads so I'm not sure just how the V hangs on the strap. As you said, it's fine on a strat-style axe because the guitar hangs straight down from the strap. The strap button on the back of a Kelly makes the guitar lean forward so i can see how that could make you worry about the strap slipping free of the strap button

micha, I have heard of people doing that with the seal on Grolsch bottles too.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

yes, I guess the type of beer inside the bottle doesn't matter all that much.
                there's nothing wrong with grolsch though...

the only problem of a rhoads slipping out of the strap I ever had was caused by the rear end.
                the strap was twisted under the upper wing and pulled itself off the guitar.
                I guess that happens easier on a rhoads than on a regular shaped guitar, but if you think of checking that once you put your guitar on, I don't see a big risk of a rhoads falling down with a regular leather strap.
                actually I think the rear end strap button should be even safer than on a dinky or soloist for example since the strap does a ~90° turn around the wing so the strap would need a turn of ~180° to free the button (if you know what I mean).

never had problems with the strap button in neck position with regards to this.
                feels pretty solid to me.

Comment

This will do i think

(not my photo, but that's what i have!)

The strap button on the back of a Kelly makes the guitar lean forward so i can see how that could make you worry about the strap slipping free of the strap button
                  That's exactly the issue on the Rhoads too. The strap is much easier to remove than a thinner strap on another guitar, because the flaps don't close completely. As you understand, i don't exactly feel confident with that. Even more so if i move the guitar away from my body during 'physical play' .

I'll post some photos tomorrrow just to illustrate, although i think the beer washer will do the trick!

Originally posted by micha View Post
                  oh; and congrats on the RR24!! these are nice guitars!
                  Thank you! It certainly is nice!

Comment

Ah beer...is there anything it can't do?
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

yes, beer is your friend.

these bottles look just alright!
                      I doubt you will get any trouble, but I just read, that some materials used nowadays for beer-seals can hurt leather and the finish of your guitar.
                      usually when the finish of a guitar is damaged that way, we're speaking of nitro-finish so your guitar would not be in danger, but anyway, I just wanted to inform you of that.
                      mönchshof looks like eine gute alte kleine brauerei though, so I'm optimistic they're still using rubber as bottle seals.

look here for further information:

Comment

Working...
                      X