Odd SLSMG w/USA stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd SLSMG w/USA stamp

I bought what looks like a slsmg, transparant black, ebony piranha 24 fretboard. It is in really good shape and looks like the only alteration is changed pups, now has an active EMG in bridge and HZ in neck. I assume the HZ is original since there is no routed battery slot. I've looked at all the catalogs and it's not exactly like any of them (sans 2004 since they don't show a catalog). Again, the only thing that is different than the regular SLSMG is that there is a stamp (ink it appears) on the back of the headstock, looks factory and under the finish that says Jackson USA, Ontario, CA 91758. Called Jackson/Fender who says the serial # (032060 on the 24th fret) shows that it's a 2003 slsmg but the stamp stumped them. Said it was an odd time due to acquisition from Fender that year. Also, the switch layout looks different than the 2003 catalog (same number just slightly different layout). Any ideas out there?
    Last edited by bodad; 12-02-2009, 02:25 PM.

IIRC, the transparent finishes were a limited edition thing. Does it have binding on the body?

That could explain the unusual stamp and control layout.

Comment

Yes, it has a cream colored binding. So is it a USA or Japan or what? BTW I would post a pic but it asks for a URL and won't let me add from my computer. If you can explain that, I can post a couple of pics.

Comment

You'll have to upload pics to a photobucket (or another pic hosting site) account and link to the pics here. It's free and easy.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Couldn't get a good clear pic of the stamp but you should get the idea. It's definately under the finish because you can hardly see it in regular light, it really popped with the camera flash. Anyway, is this an oddity or are other Japanese SLSMG's stamped like this?

Comment

I don't know about the mystery "Jackson USA" stamp as it should be MIJ, but it's from a limited run which is why you didn't find it in a catalogue. They made them in trans. black and trans. red, and later in EDS. One of the dealers here, Nick, recently sold his own trans. black and an EDS:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95439

Here's a snap of a trans. red.

Comment

Hmm, still curious about the USA stamp. Did the MIJ have a sticker?

Comment

All of the SLSMGs are made in Japan, and the serial number on yours confirms that. I don't know why yours has that weird USA decal. Some of them I've seen with the little "Made in Japan" removable sticker on the back of the headstock, but those frequently wear off, even before the guitar leaves the store.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
                        All of the SLSMGs are made in Japan, and the serial number on yours confirms that. I don't know why yours has that weird USA decal.
                        I smell a rat then. Whoever bodad bought this from (or the dude before that) tried to pass this as a USA , trying to confuse buyers with the USA SLS probably.
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Possibly, doubt they did tho since the stamp is under the finish and it looks all original. Just curious if this adds any value, a slsmg with a made in USA stamp...

Comment

Originally posted by bodad View Post
                            Possibly, doubt they did tho since the stamp is under the finish and it looks all original. Just curious if this adds any value, a slsmg with a made in USA stamp...

Er, no
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by bodad View Post
                              It is very strange. If it was really a USA guitar, it would have a totally different serial number, regardless of what the sticker says. Doubt it adds any value.

This reminds me a little of the old "Fort Worth Charvels."

Comment

Working...
                              X