Help with dk2m !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with dk2m !!

guys i just purchased a brand new dk2m in snow white finish and it arrived last night. every thing looked great until i picked it up and noticed the
    action was quite possibly higher then anything ive ever seen. i know it could be a factory set up like that but .... the action is alarmingly high and having a bad experience with JTP580's in the past i want to get a tech to set it up. is there anyway i can find out that its just a bad setup and not something wrong with the neck ? the action on the 7th fret is about 2.9-3mm so by the time i get to the 15th fret im pretty upset already. wouldnt be surprised if its borderlining with 4mm or even more by the 20th fret. has anyone experienced something like this ?

thanks

How high is the trem above the body surface?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

And is it level with the body or angled up?
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

My DK2M was set up pretty poorly and GC's staff didn't help that much. My trem was set high and it was angled up. Simple enough fixes if you are used to Floyds.

Comment

Its not hard to set it up yourself. There are tutorials all over the web. I doubt its a neck problem.

Comment

first of all thanks for the replys everyone, i appreciate it !
            secondly, after a careful examination i realized it indeed was the trem
            set up poorly. It was straight but way high outside the body. My guess is the guitar changed on its way from one end of the country to the other. Im experienced with floyds but ive had a bad experience with the JTP580 on my old DKMG. It was a nightmare. The guitar is currently with my tech who will be setting it up and once its setup ill post some pics and sound clips for all !

Comment

It's always nice getting your fiddle back from your favorite tech.

I'll have to get some pics of my newly acquired dk2m too, but mine is transparent red. They're way better than I expected. I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm enjoying mine once you get it back!
              "Dave Mustaine - apparently, he invented thrash AND Christmas." - Grandturk

Comment

well guys i got the guitar back and seems like this guy didnt put much effort into setting
                it up. there is no buzz and the sound is awesome but its almost 4mm (low e) and 3mm (high e) at the 12th fret
                thats a tad bit high for me, but how low did you guys on your dk2m's without any buzzing ?
                im using 0.10-0.46 d addarios
                Last edited by vairules; 12-14-2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

well i decided to mess with the bridge my self (even after my horrible experience with the JTP580 in the past) and well ... what can i say
                  i got one little buzzing spot on the a string on the 17th fret and the action is almost as low as they come. im loving the fullness of the maple fingerboard and clean tones just resonate beautifully especially from the neck pickup.
                  although the low e is still a tad bit higher ive read that this is something alot of dk2m users have experienced. however its still low enough for me rock out on without any problems. I love my dk2m

Comment

Glad you got her figured out. Got one in black myself love it, sounds great with my Laney and an ADA MP-1
                    Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

obviously your tech person is not a very good one. otherwise, the guitar would be set up properly, low action, no buzz.

setting up a floyd is easy. you could do it. it's all about balancing the string tension w/ the springs in the back. also the tremolo bridge should float nicely (low) paralell with the body.

here are some websites:
                      http://www.shredaholic.com/floydrosesetup.html
                      http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm

floyd maintenance:
                      http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/floyd-tremolo-tips.htm

youtube:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w

you should check your neck to see if it's straight. here's a good site:
                      http://www.athensmusician.net/archiv...eimbody1.shtml

a side note: .10s are a bit too thick for shredding (but good for rhythm playing). also w/ .10s, the action shouldn't be too low, less buzzing will occur. if you use .9-.42 gauge, you can really set up the action pretty low. just my .02 cents.

good luck!
                      Last edited by moku; 12-31-2009, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I've said this before in posts.....Jackson can't be bothered to set up their guitars anywhere near resonable.

From day one with my dk2m, I had to stone the frets (very uneven), adjust the truss rod, intonation, pickup height, blahh, blahh.

However, once done, it stops being a Jackson...and becomes YOUR Jackson......

Just a note on action height. A lot of people will talk about low action height, but never give measurements. Unless you have guages, it's very hard to guess. It actually looks higher that it probably is.

I have 1.5mm at the low e and 1.2mm at the hight e at the 12 fret. There is some buzz (not audible through the amp). ANy lower , and the upper string tends to go under my finger when bending (if that makes sense). So I'm pretty happy with that.

Comment

Working...
                        X