93 Grover Jackson Customs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 Grover Jackson Customs?

Hey guys, looking through the 93 Japan Only catalog, i guess the "Custom Series" was basically their top of the line models right?

http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage.php?album=25&pos=5

I would just like to ask, have any of you guys owned these guitars?
    and are they just as good as the Japan Professional Imports that were made during the same years but sold as imports or are there notable differences between them in hardware and in feel?

any feedback would be great!

one more thing.. would you guys take a look at this?

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/u...o.jp&tid=list3

Its a kelly custom with all the correct specs, and everything.. except that the fretboard looks like striped ebony, and the frets look new.. and most of all.. Its not MOP! just MOTO. my guess is that the neck was remade and refret? could this be possible?
    i would consider buying this but sadly it just doesnt seem like its mother of pearl like it was originally supposed to have
    Last edited by leevan_lee; 12-28-2009, 07:39 AM.

I used to have a '91 Grover Jackson Custom RR and '90 Jackson RR PRO.

Yes, you're right, they were their top of the line models. My Grover Jackson Custom RR was every bit as good (if not even better!) than the RR PRO.

Great guitars. I sold bought of them to fund USA Jacksons, but wouldn't mind owning another Grover Jackson Custom ..especially the more rare shape like Firebird, or maybe a H/S Soloist. These Grover Jackson also had non-recessed floyds.

You can see both of them in this picture (along with a Grover Jackson Dan Spitz sig and Jackson Stars CS RR):

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the Grover Jackson Customs became the JacksonStars models, until eventually the GroverJackson branding was dropped entirely and those models were rebranded as JacksonStars as well.

I'd say the nomencalture references the early San Dimas years of the "Custom" and "Student" models - Customs had ebony, binding, MOP finlays, etc, and Students had rosewood and dots and no binding (mostly) - sort like the major differences between a Les Paul Standard and Les Paul Custom. Not so much a "Custom Shop Order" as a model differentiation.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks guys, but do any of you notice differences in playability? like the shape and widths of the necks? im thinking about selling my Jackson Stars King V neck thru Kahler in order to buy this Grover Jackson Custom Kelly. Im just on the brink of wondering which is really a better built guitar :P

One thing that bothers me though is that this one DOESNT have MOP inlays... it just looks like the MOTO.. could this have had a remade neck / frets / fretboard?

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/u...o.jp&tid=list3

check it out.
        Last edited by leevan_lee; 12-28-2009, 07:36 AM.

Comment

That one is probably Grover Jackson Standard series...without ebony fretboard and MOP inlays..check in the catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
            That one is probably Grover Jackson Standard series...without ebony fretboard and MOP inlays..check in the catalog.

man, so they just stuck the custom sign to fake it? :think:

although there is no Standard Kelly in the catalog... http://audiozone.dk/cm/displayimage....866&fullsize=1

Comment

Could be. Maybe it wasn't available in that year when this catalog was published? Or just wasn't featured in that catalog? Maybe it's really Custom series, but pics show lighter colored fretboard?

EDIT: Looking at the pictures again, it does seem like that could be ebony fretboard...ask for better pics, these are really shitty.
              Last edited by Nazgul; 12-28-2009, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                Could be. Maybe it wasn't available in that year when this catalog was published? Or just wasn't featured in that catalog? Maybe it's really Custom series, but pics show lighter colored fretboard?

EDIT: Looking at the pictures again, it does seem like that could be ebony fretboard...ask for better pics, these are really shitty.

looks like striped ebony to me. (similar to the one i have on my jackson stars)
                since the guitar body is all banged up, its quite amazing that the neck looks like brand new. they probably remade the neck or something.
                anyway, how are kellys compared to strats? are they heavier? less comfortable?

Comment

Working...
                X