Morton Dominion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morton Dominion question

I just got my new Mark Morton Dominion (pics forthcoming) but, I cannot figure out the controls--doh!!

I'm used to the traditional Les Paul configuration of the bottom controlling the bridge pickup volume and the knob above it controlling neck pickup volume (other knobs control respective tone).

On the Dominion, the top knob controls neck pickup volume, but in the bridge position, both knobs control volume.

This seems weird. Should it be wired this way? Also, which way does the toggle(s) flip to split the pickups? I notice only a very minimal difference when I flip the toggle switch(es).

Thanks!

There should be only 1 volume knob that controls the bridge and 1 volume knob that controls the neck pickup. Unless they have changed things there should not be 1 knob that controls the volume of both.

Comment

Originally posted by JTD View Post
      There should be only 1 volume knob that controls the bridge and 1 volume knob that controls the neck pickup. Unless they have changed things there should not be 1 knob that controls the volume of both.
      That's what I thought. Surely, it wasn't wired wrong from the factory

Comment

The top knob closest to the bridge should be the bridge pup volume and the top knob further away is for the neck... the opposite of a Les Paul.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Here's a visualization of how it's wired:

Comment

Did you buy it new or used? It's wired up incorrectly if that's what you are experiencing. The one you have labeled "Neck & Bridge Volume" should be Bridge Volume only and the one you have labeled "Bridge Only" should be Neck Volume only. The tone controls and coil taps should correspond to the volumes. Coil taps should be full humbucker toward the neck and split toward the bridge. If you need a picture of how it should be wired, shoot me a PM...I'm swapping the pickups in one of my Dominions probably tomorrow and I can send you the schematics if you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
              Did you buy it new or used? It's wired up incorrectly if that's what you are experiencing. The one you have labeled "Neck & Bridge Volume" should be Bridge Volume only and the one you have labeled "Bridge Only" should be Neck Volume only. The tone controls and coil taps should correspond to the volumes. Coil taps should be full humbucker toward the neck and split toward the bridge. If you need a picture of how it should be wired, shoot me a PM...I'm swapping the pickups in one of my Dominions probably tomorrow and I can send you the schematics if you need them.
              Yes, just arrived fresh. It's the new 2009 model (oiled neck/natural binding).

I'll send you a PM for schematics--I really appreciate it!!

Comment

Not that it matters to your problem, but what finish did you get? I have a Riverbed and an Old School. I really wanted a Wine Drunk, but I got killer deals on both of mine here on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  Not that it matters to your problem, but what finish did you get? I have a Riverbed and an Old School. I really wanted a Wine Drunk, but I got killer deals on both of mine here on the forum.
                  I got a Riverbed. I found a really good deal, too.

Comment

Very cool , but thats strange , post some pics im curious to see the new riverbed.

Comment

Yeah I don't know if they changed things or not. Quite awhile back I had an import and it was wired volume knob close to bridge was to the bridge pickup and volume knob further down was to the neck. Now I did just receive the CS black beauty Morton and its wired like the Les Paul which is what I believe Mark Morton wanted it to Mirror. So basically, volume knob close to the bridge was to the neck pickup and volume knob further down was to the bridge.

Comment

Did you get the issue resolved? My Dominion will occasionally do the same thing, but it's a selector switch issue. I'll toggle it back and forth a few times and it works itself out. In the fairly-near-future, I'll change that switch when I do a pickup change.

Comment

What are you guys changing your pickups to? I've got a KFK EMG 81/85 set with the PAF2 gain booster, are you still able to use the coil taps with active pickups?

Comment

Yes, there are splitable active pickups, but the standard EMG 81 and 85 you already have can't be split. EMG does make a splitable version, as you can find on their website.
                            I'm still weighing the options, but the Duncan Custom 5 looks like it may provide the combination of eq curve and output I want.

Comment

I wanted to say thanks to 6string40 who was VERY generous with the wiring diagram he sent. He actually did a nice excel file that was very detailed. Kudos to him!

Anyway, as TreeFitty noted, the issue is often intermittent. Since I had a **tiny** headstock dent from shipping, I opted to send the guitar back for a replacement. Such a shame. It had a nice top. I hope the replacement doesn't suffer from the same issue, but hearing others have had this problem, I question the quality of that switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X