Strange Veneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Veneer

So, I decided to refinish a cheap kelly body i picked up. I did like I always did- grabbed a heat gun and started scraping. The bare wood was brownish red in color (which I found to be odd) Even more odd when the wood started bubbling up... It peeled up in even sheets about a 1/4 of an inch thick. on back and front, but not on the bevels... what the heck sorta veneer is it? I didn't even know they did that on cheap black painted imports

I think it was some sort of maple veneer. so the paint adheres better and doesn't sink into the grain of whatever cheap POS wood the body is made of. It's a pretty common thing, especially for full or matte colored guitars.

Comment

now that the has veneer peeled off, how many pieces is the body made from? Manufacturers sometimes veneer bodies to hide join lines in a multi-piece body
      Hail yesterday

Comment

one very notable seam with an 1/16th of gap in one spot on the seam.... the goes my just stain it idea

Comment

You could always put a new veneer on it. I want to do one with camphor burl... cause it looks likes guts or scars or something.

Is that not the coolest grain ever?
          |My CSG gallery|
          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

The Necronomiconicaster

If it came up in 1/4" sheets, it's plywood, which surprises me for a Jackson. Their import figured veneers are generally 1/8", and on older models were simply a photgraph of figured wood.

The color of the wood sounds like Cedro - Indian Cedar.
            Might also explain the laminating effect since it's a loose-grained wood.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post

Is that not the coolest grain ever?
              It is not
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
              X