Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD (Jackson Content): Help Me Identify This Model (Bonus Ethical Dilema Inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD (Jackson Content): Help Me Identify This Model (Bonus Ethical Dilema Inside)

So this came in the mail today: Backstory: I was looking for a guitar on ebay to fill the void since my SLSMG is currently out of comission (still can't decide what kind of pickups I want, but its for sure my #1). I wanted something to tune to standard. I saw this on ebay and from the frontal view thought it was nothing special, just another Jackson bolt on. The superlow price had me intrigued though. I clicked on it and saw that it was a neck-through and started watching it. I decided to bid on it because I thought it would make a great guitar for standard tuning stuff, and I'm on a george lynch kick right now and for some odd reason I felt like this would be perfect for lynch type stuff. I normally don't go for 22 fret rosewood fingerboards but I kind of liked this one because i hadn't seen anything like it before. Now I obviously wanted to know the model. There isn't anything on the web (and I did serious research). There are only some very similar models in late 90s jackson catalogs. I was advised it was a safe buy because japanese jacksons are very high quality, and this obviously was one do to the fact it is neck through (Jackson has never produced neck throughs in korea/china/indonesia). Anyways it came today and I am happy with the guitar. Obviously the condition is a little rough but I knew that was the case from the pictures. (I'm not too fond of the veneer but even the USA jacksons have them, only CS stuff uses real caps). Now here comes the dilema. I feel the seller misrepresented the pickups from the start (heres the link Amazing Flame Top Jackson Guitar w/ Duncan & Dimarzio - eBay (item 370321277233 end time Jan-23-10 00:14:36 PST)). I knew he was playing them up to be more than they are (the neck is obviously only Duncan Designed in the pictures) and it was kind of shady. I figured since I swap out pups on all my guitars anyways it wasn't a big deal (although it made me think the seller was dishonest). And although he mentioned Dimarzio in the ad I banked on the fact he was probably once again misrepresenting (the bridge is probably just some stock pickup) and I would just switch them out in a couple months when funds allowed. Now when the guitar arrived I immediately noticed that neither tone nor volume works, the neck pickup isn't even connected, and the three way switch doesn't work. Not a big deal to me since I'm handy with a soldering iron. However I feel the seller obviously knew this and neglected to mentionit in the ad. Although I wasn't expecting much on the electronics front I thought I would atleast have something functioning for 2-3 months. Obivously its only like 15-20 dollars in parts to get this working (with the current pickups). Its obvious from the sellers feedback that hes misrepresented items in the past. I don't know whether I should ask him for a partial refund. I don't want to send the guitar back since a)hes horrible with communication b)he shady c)it was cheap enough that I'd rather keep it than worry about paying return shipping d)I actually like the instrument. I do however feel that at the price I paid (240 + shipping) i'm entitled to a functioning instrument (I could have got another used SLSMG for $150 more with no problems, I probably would have preffered that) Also hes horrible with communication. He said his wife had a child this week, which I empathize with. However I feel he was using that as an excuse for shipping late (it took two weeks to arrive after I paid), because if he's already shipped it (which he claimed in the few messages he sent me) why would he have time to tell me that but not give me the tracking number (which I repeatedly asked for, he said he would email me it sunday and then ceased communication). Am I being a little bitch for wanting like a 30-35 dollar refund (I haven't asked for one yet)? I don't want to make his life more difficult, especially if he's struggling with a new family. What's your opinion? Regardless of all that, its still a fun, unique, guitar. And when I put in some new pups and strings its gonna really rip.

I think it might be a fake?
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
      I think it might be a fake?
      Could be. I don't know tons about jacksons. I am pretty sure its a MIJ jackson though. Is there really faking of jackson's more obscure models like this? RacerX thought it was legit http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102439.

Comment

I think it's legit. As stated before, I doubt there's any money in faking a neck through. Even if it's not in catalogs, it could be a special or limited run. In my opinion, oy sounds like you got a good deal on a neck through Jackson even if the electronics are shot but it's really what you want to do. Good luck in any event.

Comment

Congratulations on the new guitar!
          If you are happy with the guitar and think it was worth the money you paid (I do) then why not just leave negative feedback? so that if he really is starting a family he doesn't have another problem to deal with but future buyers will realize that he isn't particularly honest.

thats my 2 cents.

No idea on what guitar that is though :P but its pretty!
          Gear:
          93 Jackson KV Pro
          07 Dean VMNT1 (Modded)
          07 Cort VX-4V
          Franken Strat

Comment

sTILL WAITING ON THE SERIAL # ???
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              sTILL WAITING ON THE SERIAL # ???
              7 digits. Two are effaced to the point that I can't tell what they are. 7??001 is what I can make out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogueleader View Post
                7 digits. Two are effaced to the point that I can't tell what they are. 7??001 is what I can make out.
                That equals 6 digits

Usual MIJ neckthrough serials ARE 6 digits, first 2 denote the year, is it

x7x001 ? If the first digit is a zero, it would follow the format for a MIJ N/T from 2007.

If it is actually 7xx001 that is a weird number....hmmm, might be fake after all!

Where is this number? Stamped on fretboard at 23rd fret?

Comment

If it is a fake i would try and get money back, if its legit fix the electronics and leave negative feedback, its the risk you take getting things off ebay with out picking the items up in person or inspecting them first.

Comment

Heres an image. Edit: And if its a fake I'm still keeping it. Just based on quality and comparing it to my SLSMG I don't think it is though. That doesn't really affect my decision at all.
                    Last edited by Rogueleader; 02-06-2010, 03:35 AM.

Comment

That S/N number screams "I'm stolen".

Comment

Yeah, that's not the original serial for sure. Someone has sanded it off, and tried to put a new one there, but done a remarkably poor job of it.

Comment

That's pretty fucked up right there

Comment

Body shape looks dead on, control cavity is correct, why in the world would someone go through the trouble of faking that particular guitar but totally blow it on the serial number?

Not a fake guitar, but a stolen guitar, I'll bet.

Comment

if you look at the serial, it looks like it was sanded off with side to side strokes and they couldn't cover the 7 so they added the others maybe with a soldering iron. If you look between the 2nd and 3rd and also the 3rd and 4th numbers the remnants of old stamping remain. I'd contact Ebay and the authorities. Regardless of the model, I'd be pissed if it was stolen from me.
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                              X