Dk2m neck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dk2m neck question

I'm trying to find a maple neck with black inlays for my RR3. Does anyone know or have tried a dk2m 24 fret neck on a RR body? Is it possible to do this kind of swap?

It's not gonna intonate right since the DK2M neck is a 24 fret and your RR3 has 22 frets, unless you modify either the neck or the neck pocket. You might have to move your neck pickup toward the bridge a little too, could be a project.

You could do it with a JS30RR body, but then you'd have no Floyd...
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Damn, not worth the headache. I think I'll just keep searching. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how I can get one? No luck on ebay.
      Last edited by rattlehead74; 02-05-2010, 02:10 AM.

Comment

It's a waiting game, but shouldn't be too long. These things turn up on the internet, but necks sell really well online because they are a good base to start a project with. I know i did when i built my own. Bodies are easier to fabricate, where as a comfortable and solid neck is a bit more of a head ache, especially when you don't have all the good tools. Buying a decent neck to start the foundation, you can at least estimate what the guitar is going to feel like, the rest is all up to you .

My suggestion would be to keep looking online, but set your project aside cause it could take as little as a few days to a couple of months, but you'll get your neck.

Comment

It's playable the way it is, just that someone repaired the neck once. Its stable but just looks like crap, to me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
            Damn, not worth the headache.
            So you are not going to do the swap?
            Originally posted by rattlehead74 View Post
            I think I'll just keep searching. Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how I can get one? No luck on ebay.
            So you are going to do the swap?

Which neck are you looking for?

Comment

I'm looking for a RR3 maple with black inlays, the only thing I've found so far is a dk2m on ebay.
              Last edited by rattlehead74; 02-05-2010, 10:09 AM.

Comment

A guy here modded his RR3 and dk2m neck cut the last two frets and some minor woodworking that made it easier...

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                  A guy here modded his RR3 and dk2m neck cut the last two frets and some minor woodworking that made it easier...
                  It's a shame to butcher a nice DK2M neck for that though. I'd personally rather cut on the body than the neck, and have 24 frets, but I guess it's down to personal preference.

Or sell your RR3 and buy a RR24M! SWEET!!!
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Buy a DK2M neck and get a Warmoth body.

Comment

Warmoth only make bodies for Fender style neck joints so it wouldnt fit, you could perhaps order from mojobodies or somewhere similar

Or somewhere that can make the Jackson 24 fret neck joint...

and yeah you could consider chopping the last two frets butchering the neck but it's not like they are in short supply, or a ltd run, and as long as you measure it right it should fit in alot easier and be a lot simpler than routing the pocket.

You would probably need to move the bridge further back to, or completely rework the body and reroute the bridge cavity, and neck pickup would need moving back too to accomodate the larger neck...

RobRR did this I think it looked really nice he also routed a neck hum for the RR24M which might be the simplest option if you must have a RR with a maple board...

Comment

It's a limited RR3, not that make a differance, but it came with a maple neck and a white with black pinstriped body. I actualy like the way the dk2m maple neck looks with the unfinished headstock. I think I'd rather take my chances at cuting the neck then messing up the body. I'll post some pics tomorrow of what the guitar looks like now and see if you guys think I should even bother.
                        Last edited by rattlehead74; 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          So you are not going to do the swap?So you are going to do the swap?

Which neck are you looking for?
                          Sorry I wasn't clear about it, I'm looking for a 22 fret maple RR3 replacement. I didn't know if the neck joint was the same as a DK2M. That and I thought the extra 2 frets might not make make that much of a differance. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                            It's a shame to butcher a nice DK2M neck for that though. I'd personally rather cut on the body than the neck, and have 24 frets, but I guess it's down to personal preference.

Or sell your RR3 and buy a RR24M! SWEET!!!
                            I wish, I like the way the RR24 looks. Black with red or yellow / sweet

Comment

Well I got my guitar back today from being set up. They said that the headstock is stable enough & doesn't seem to be coming apart. Should work out fine, I'm going to roll with it. The crack just looks nasty to me but oh well. Here's some pics. By the way thats a made in USA sticker.http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...00209-1506.jpg .... http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/a...00209-1457.jpg ...
                              Last edited by rattlehead74; 02-09-2010, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X