New Jackson owner! (ID help needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jackson owner! (ID help needed)

Hi all, first post for me. Had a look around this forum the last couple days and seems like a great place.

I just bought my first Jackson today and would like to ask some of you experts if you can help me with the details. First of all, here are a couple of pictures. These were in the ad, I'll take some better ones soon.

Okay, so I'm just learning about Jackson's this week so bear with me. The guy I bought it from said he thought it was a MIJ 1991 Dinky Rev. Performer. Did they even make a Performer Professional? According to the import serial number faq I found in another thread it says that my guitar is a 92 Fusion as the serial number is 922001. The scale length is 25.5" so that eliminates Fusion correct? I think it's simply a Dinky Rev. Professional probably 1992. Can anyone narrow down the year for me? How do you distinguish a Performer or a Fusion?

It has a Schaller tremolo stamped Charvel, JT-590 correct? The 2 extra knobs were installed later for push/pull coil splitting.

What do think the value is? I paid $300 and seems very worth it so far.

Those ugly knobs are skulls and I am going to get some new knobs for it. Can anyone point me to a good place to get these, like the originals. Also needs a switch tip as the one on there is huge and ugly.

The guitar plays really nice except the low E and A string have some fret buzz, especially the A string. Best way to fix this?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me and glad to have found this forum.

Dan

No, Performers and Professionals are completely different animals. Performers say "Performer" on the headstock and same for Professionals. Most Professionals are VERY good guitars from what I've seen. Performers are iffy.. That Schaller (yes, JT590) on there is top of the heap in bridges (arguably against an OFR). I'm not positive on the year but I think you're right on with the model. And for $300, very nice score!!
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Hmm... It's definitely a Dinky Rev. I'm thinking '92. It isn't in the '91 catalog. It doesn't have an engraved truss rod cover in the '92 catalog but I think they may have started that part way through the year because I have a Soloist from that year with an engraved truss rod and it's been confirmed as a 1992. Plus the serial has 92 at the start if that means anything.

Here's the Dinky Rev. page in the 1992 catalog with a guitar matching yours.

It's also in the '93 catalog with an engraved truss rod cover.

I think $300 is a good price for one. Especially for a guitar with a JT-590. I adore the JT-590 on my Soloist XL. Early 90's Jacksons are the bee's knees.

Hope I helped a little. I'm sure the super-ultra-early-90's-import-knowledge-bank-guys will be able to confirm everything. I definitely think it's a '92 Dinky Rev though.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Ben covered it!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep a very good guitar I agree.Good price too.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for the quick and informative replies! It's nice to get a confirmation on some of these things.

So, what's a good place to order some knobs and switch tip from? Guitar Center is overpriced.

RacerX- I bought this from a guy in Irvine. Drove from San Diego to get it.

Comment

Try Warmoth online

Comment

The placement of the extra knobs is a bit fruity, but cool guitar otherwise.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and nice score. You can also get a lot of parts from GuitarPartsDepot
                  Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    The placement of the extra knobs is a bit fruity, but cool guitar otherwise.
                    I agree. That will be toned down a bit when I get some new, black knobs on there I think.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

Well it has been awhile but I'm still loving this guitar. The neck is just amazing.

As you can see I've gotten rid of the skulls and the huge pickup switch and cleaned her up a bit.

Pics as promised.

Comment

lookin' sharp! Great colour too
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                        X