New to the forum, question about new pickups my Soloist Pro Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the forum, question about new pickups my Soloist Pro Standard

So I bought this guitar used. From the serial I can tell it's made in 1995. It came with all of it's stock components, the only thing I've changed is I have a new input jack.

Anyways, my question is about the stock bridge pickups which according to the audiozone scans that get posted on here are J-92Cs. They are rated as really high output, but I'm just wondering if there's something I can do in terms of changing pickups or switching out a new magnet to get a little bit more bite out of them?

Or should I just try use a bit more gain from my amp and my GT3? I think part of my problem is that my other guitar is a KV3 with an EMG81 in the bridge, and I just wish I could get similar output from the Soloist, but with the same tone that it has now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome!

You may want to experiment with pickup height to get the most out of your pickups, but ultimately, I think you'd want to get some kind of gain booster to raise the output level a bit more. EMG makes a few on-board circuits that you install into the guitar (PA2 has an "on/off" mini switch, and the AB is a volume control with push-pull activation of the boost circuit).

You could also just run your guitar through a boost pedal.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Sunbane. Yeah, for the moment I just added a bit of overdrive to my setup and it's almost where I want it. I think an added gain boost for my guitar is ultimately what I'll end up doing, once I get some money. For the time being though, the added OD really helped. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X