Still have this issue with my DKmG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still have this issue with my DKmG

Ok, the nut is as tight as it will ever be, no slipping , the thing stays in tune great now, returns to zero, BUT I still have this popping noise sometimes when pressing down the bar. I can feel it as well as hear it.

It seems to sound like it is coming from around the neck at the heel. I know if I grab the neck a certain way, It does move in the neck pocket , even though I have tighned it up as tight as it will go. Could this be from the neck pocket being slighty to big? It's tight as it can be to the body on the top side, but not as tight on the bottom side of the neck.

I guess I am just worrying over nothing, and if this stuff just is normal, then I don't care, but I don't want it to be due to some issue that will eventually need to be taken care of. I have never had a Jackson bolt on neck before, so I didn't have these kinds of issues and noise coming from the neck joint.
    My other guitar was built for me and the neck is painted and that thing is so tight I couldn't move it by trying.
    Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Try tightening the neck screws?

Some people with Fenders say loosen first (slightly) with the strings on, then tighten. I'm guessing they think the pull of the strings will hold the neck tight in the pocket.

Comment

Don,

They are as tight as I can get them. I don't want to go so hard as to strip them , if that is even possible. It seems like this stupid noise( it has to be a pysical thing to as I can FEEL it ) can be coming from anywhere, sometimes it sounds like the neck, others it sounds like the bridge itself, and then as I was fooling with it just now, it sounds like it could be coming from the springs or in the trem cavity.

It's jsut some stupid issue that is driving me nuts!

Comment

I also noticed that the saddles pivot up and down as the bar is pressed down, maybe that is what I hear and feel. I have no clue at this point.

The only thing I would say for sure is that it isn't a string slipping anymore as it stays in perfect tune now. But then again, I am usually wrong when I say stuff for sure

Could it be something with the knife edges on the posts?

Comment

I have a similar noise from the my new Jackson. The guitar stay in tune when I use the bar so I haven't worried about it yet. I am wondering on mine if it has something to do with the tension on the bridge since from the factory it has 4 trem springs. I'll let you know if I solve my mystery noise.

Comment

I admit I have not read all the posts, but this really sounds like
            either the springs are popping or the claw screws are giving a little.

I'd first swap out all of the springs and make sure they are nested (ping them one at a time).
            And for the screws feel them as you move the trem to see if they are loose.

Troubleshooting a trem system can be a major PITA but is usually
            the cause something very simple.
            It just takes a lot of time to track it down.
            (Captain Obvious reporting for duty).

Noises can transfer so be aware of that.
            Last edited by Cygnus X1; 02-25-2010, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I actually went back and now am not hearing the noise and this is after I swapped pickups and took off the springs, so cyg you might be right on mine.

Comment

I noticed when I first got my guitar that the springs looked weird in the cavity, they are bending upward as the block isn't long enough for them to go straight across. I don't know if this is the issue or not.

I am just worried that the noise is coming from the neck or the truss rod or something, if it isn't and I can be sure of that, then it wouldn't bother me so much. It doesn't even do it all the time, only once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
                  I noticed when I first got my guitar that the springs looked weird in the cavity, they are bending upward as the block isn't long enough for them to go straight across. I don't know if this is the issue or not.

I am just worried that the noise is coming from the neck or the truss rod or something, if it isn't and I can be sure of that, then it wouldn't bother me so much. It doesn't even do it all the time, only once in a while.
                  It would be unlikely (but possible) that the noise would come from the neck joint.
                  Seating of the springs is that first indication, remember they have to be seated correctly for everything to work.
                  I only hope you might have something else to sub for that block or another trem of correct height.
                  I apologize for not following closely enough before speaking here, I did browse your original post and was a little surprised at the problem so I didn't speak up at the time.

Belaboring the point, but if the angle of the springs isn't correct, then they would pop and creak under pressure.
                  That points to what you describe...wrong springs or wrong block height.

Comment

Take a picture of the spring area. I think that's where your problem is.

Next, consider using foam padding under the springs to dampen noises.

Comment

I can take the pic, but how do I post it into this thread?

Comment

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

host on here and then copy the URL for message board or just the straight up address and copy onto here.

Comment

Cool , thanks!

Not the greatest pic, my camera is on the fritz, but you can clearly see the springs curving.

Comment

i think they may be curving up cause of the way the springs go in. some springs have a 90 degree angle on em. some are a lil tighter like 70 degrees. maybe bend the spring tips or whatever youd call it and bend em so they slide into the block smoothly and it should also bring your springs to a more level look,feel, and so forth. of course if this is bad advice someone jump in, but i've done it to my guitars that have that super angle on the block holes.

Comment

Well theres your problem lol

Comment

Working...
                              X