Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
    Cool , thanks!

Not the greatest pic, my camera is on the fritz, but you can clearly see the springs curving.
    You have serious issues there.

Yes, the springs at the claw need some work. They should come straight off of the claw.

But another huge issue IMO is the fact that your trem block is TOO SHORT! Your springs look like they are grinding against the body wood in the trem cavity.

Two things you can do:

1) file out the body wood so that there's no contact. Not the best idea, and still doesn't fix the issue that your springs should be in a straight line to the trem.

2) Buy a longer block, or upgrade to a longer / larger hi-mass block from floydupgrades.com. Contact him before buying to make sure the block will work with your trem.

Comment

That picture is VERY deceiving, the springs are nowhere near the body, making no contact with it at all.

I did as someone said and bent the springs slightly and it fixed the curve at the block end, now there is just the slight curve at the claw end. Gonna try the same thing at that end.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

It looks to me like the spring block might be on backwards. It's a long tedious process that might not cure the problem, but you'll have to remove the strings and saddles to flip the block around, then put the springs and strings and saddles back on. As I said, it's a lot of work especially if it turns out to not be the problem, but your springs should definitely not look like that, so it's either the block reversed or the claw is mounted improperly.

You might be able to simply invert the claw to straighten the springs, and that might solve the problem. However, if the block is flipped, it will need to be fixed, and if you flip the claw you might not be able to get the cover on, and if you flip the claw and then find out the block needs to be flipped, you'll have to put the claw back to its original orientation.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc,

The block isn't on backwarsds. On the side of the block there are little holes where the spring comes out, they are facing the claw. In other words, the spring goes in the top at an angle and comes through the little holes on the side, the other side of the block is solid and the springs would not go into the holes that way.

Comment

At first I was thinking what Newc was so I went to check mine and yeah, the block cannot be used any other way. If I remember correctly I had the same issue with mine...I bought the guitar a long time ago and have had this issue on other guitars as well. It's an alder bodied model with EMG HZ's/afterburner. I just swapped the springs out with a spare set I had laying around that came originally came out of a DK2.

Let me ask you, when you pull up on the trem do the springs pop away from the claw like the springs may be too long or something? That's what was happening to mine. I believe it had to do with the tension of the springs. The ones I put into it were not as stiff so it allowed for more room between the block and the claw when tuned (the springs are stretched more) thus eliminating the bottoming out of the spring when I pulled up. I hope you can follow that cause I'm horrible at explaining this stuff.

This may or may not be the problem your experiencing but, good luck!
            Last edited by Madness; 02-27-2010, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Cool , thanks!

Not the greatest pic, my camera is on the fritz, but you can clearly see the springs curving.

There, fixed the image link.

Anyhoo, do the springs maintain that curvy shape if you remove them?
              Also, watch the springs as you bend the bar - do the tips that go into the block appear to be moving? Could be either the holes in the block are off or the tips of the springs slipping in the holes.
              Last edited by Newc; 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc,

The block isn't on backwarsds. On the side of the block there are little holes where the spring comes out, they are facing the claw. In other words, the spring goes in the top at an angle and comes through the little holes on the side, the other side of the block is solid and the springs would not go into the holes that way.
                I don't think he means so much backwards, just upside down. The holes will still be on the same side, just flip it.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Now that the nut is all tight and I have swithced the blocks, I don't get any of this noise when pulling up on the bar, it is only when depressing it. The springs seem pretty tight in there.

Comment

Working...
                  X