Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd problem with brand new MIJ

Hey guys, first post here.

I bought a MIJ soloist the other day (display model). I changed the strings last night and got everything all set up. I did notice however that when I blocked the trem up to take off the strings, the front of the Floyd started to rise up out of the guitar as well. It looked as if the post bushings were coming up out of the neck. I put it all back together with the new strings and it plays and stays in tune just fine.

Now, this is my first Floyd and I was not sure if these bushings were supposed to do this, or if they are supposed to be solidly glued/epoxied into the guitar. After doing some research it seems they are supposed to be solid. Should I be taking it back apart and epoxy them back in?

Thanks
    Last edited by potatohead; 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM.

They should be a tight fit but if they are a little loose they should stay in from the pressure of the strings. they are usually not clued and never use an epoxy.

Comment

Originally posted by potatohead View Post
      Should I be taking it back apart and epoxy them back in?
      I would, and I have, on a Rhoads I had.
      In the case of my Rhoads, the bushings being loose affected its tuning stability, and it was definitely better once they sat solidly in the body.

Edit: I didn't use epoxy, I used wood glue. I've since been adviced to let the wood soak up some superglue, let it dry, and then push the bushings back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Edit: I didn't use epoxy, I used wood glue. I've since been adviced to let the wood soak up some superglue, let it dry, and then push the bushings back in.
        This is the right answer. The water in the glue will expand the body wood making a tight fit.

Comment

Ok, I guess I will take it back apart. I have some good wood glue, I'll use that instead of an epoxy, I just don't know that it will adhere to the metal bushings all that well? I could pick up some super glue if that is better.

Bummer to take it apart and have to do it on a new guitar but I'd rather have it fixed, shouldn't be too hard really.
          Last edited by potatohead; 03-02-2010, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Super glue will fix it.
            |My CSG gallery|
            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll report back on how it goes later on tonight.

Comment

Well, that was pretty painless. Took it apart, glued them in, put it back together... Minty fresh now.

I only got it yesterday and could only use some headphones last night, but tonight I played it through the amp, this thing is fantastic . The Duncans are so much more clear than the junk in my Ibanez.

Comment

Originally posted by potatohead View Post
                  Ok, I guess I will take it back apart. I have some good wood glue, I'll use that instead of an epoxy, I just don't know that it will adhere to the metal bushings all that well? I could pick up some super glue if that is better.

Bummer to take it apart and have to do it on a new guitar but I'd rather have it fixed, shouldn't be too hard really.
                  It's not supposed to stick to the bushings. They don't glue it in at the factory. You want a friction fit.

I hope you didn't use super glue.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    It's not supposed to stick to the bushings. They don't glue it in at the factory. You want a friction fit.

I hope you didn't use super glue.
                    Well, they weren't tight at all, once I took the Floyd off I just pulled them out with no effort. They use something to hold them at least a little, as there was a crusty substance in the bottom of the holes. I used wood glue on them. From past experience if I ever need to remove them I can heat them with a soldering iron or even a really small torch and melt the glue, if it even holds the metal very well.
                    Last edited by potatohead; 03-03-2010, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Guys, a question on tuning stability...

I set the guitar up in E standard for now. If I do a major dive (strings limp falling off the board basically) and come back up slowly, pretty much all the strings fall in pitch about 2, maybe 3 hz on the tuner (about 1/10 step or so?). Since they're all in relation to each other it still sounds in tune when I'm just jamming by myself. Now, if I pull up on the bar a bit, or if I come back from the dive quickly, it goes right back bang on perfect. Obviously doing a dive that big is totally pointless, but I thought I'd check it out anyway.

Pretty normal?
                      Last edited by potatohead; 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X