Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basswood Vs. Indian Cedro

whats the difference tone wise etc.
    been looking at the js series and planning on getting one as a project guitar but interested in finding out what indian cedro is all about

about the same tone wise, on the darker side. indian cedro(spanish cedar) is in the mahogany family.

Comment

indian cedro is a VERY cheap wood, I wouldn't even call it a tonewood... basswood is a mix between mahogany and alder tonewise, almost all Ibanez's are basswood, all the wolfgang's are as well, alot of the 'shredder' guitars are basswood... the reason jackson switched is because basswood is considered a better tonewood
      Wish I could add Pics to this thing!!

Comment

the reason jackson switched is because basswood is considered a better tonewood
        What are you talking about the JS series is still Indian cedro? It's used a lot more on acoustics which rely upon the tone of their wood more then an electric, but yes it's cheap. The guitars that they changed to basswood a few years ago also went from being made in india to Japan and the prices went up too.

Comment

My opinion is just one more among many others but I'll share.

Basswood is among my least favorite of all woods. Not because it is necessarily bad but because when it is bad, it is gawd awful.

My local music store carries a pretty good line of Jacksons and I've mucked around with almost all of them. The Cedro is fine, especially for the price point. Definitley not among my favorite 3 woods (mahogany, alder, poplar), but I'd take it over any newer basswood models. I'd like to get the Kelly model to mod.
          In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Working...
          X