Looking for help choosing a 2nd guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help choosing a 2nd guitar

Hey guys, a forum newb here. I’m starting the search for my 2nd (ever) electric guitar, and I’d like some input. So far I’m leaning towards a Jackson.

Short background: been playing 2 years and I play mostly metal. My first guitar is an Ibanez SZ520QM. I LOVE that guitar. There are only a couple things I would change. I started thinking about what I would want in my 2nd electric and came up with:

• H-H config (love the sound)
    • Strat/superstrat (no V, etc.)
    • No trem
    • Active EMGs
    • Ebony fretboard

I went into GS and asked for the above. The dude looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head. No luck at all.

After looking for a while, I realize I’ll probably have to relent on the ebony. Too bad.

The reason I’m leaning toward Jackson is I found a cheap beat-up guitar in GS that had a FABULOUS neck. It was a shorter scale, and had the perfect shape for my hand. The scale looked like it was about an inch shorter than the Rhoades I held it up against. Sorry, didn’t take a measuring tape. The problem is that GS has NO idea what it is besides the tag that reads “Used Dinky: $149”.

GS is the only Jackson dealer in town and they don’t have enough in stock for me to make a decision. So here I am, asking the Jackson community.

Any tips guys?
    Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
    Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
    Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
    Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
    Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

um only thing jackson wise i can think of is a sl2t but they have duncans which are awesome

or i know a gibson les paul zakk wylde ??

Comment

Hardtails are limited... For Ebony you'd need to go with an SL2HT, which is a neck-through USA.

If you're looking to spend less there is the DK2T, which is a bolt-on 24-fret, $699-ish new.

Neither of these are super-popular so you could be looking for a while used.

Neither has EMG's stock.

Comment

It's an archtop but check out the DKMGT. HH, standard with active EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          Ill vouch for these. I have both the string through and now the floyded version and both are excellent playing guitars. Again, kind of hard to find used or in a store period anymore. The DKMG I just picked up seemed to be the only used Jackson w/in 100 mi. of my house(had to drive 80 to find it). I had called every guitar store and pawn shop I could find a number for and nothing. Finally just took a shot in the dark at a GC I had already called in hopes that the guy I talked to didnt know what a Jackson really was and woudlnt ya know, there she hung a beautiful trans red DKMG.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
            Nice! That was actually my front-runner. I have never seen one tho, so I have no idea how it plays. Like Twitch said, these things are hard to come by.

The Jackson site lists the DKMGT as a 25.5" scale, which may be too big for me. I was looking for something closer to the 25" scale of my Ibanez. My hands aren't very big, so smaller is better for me.

And I realize that I can add EMG's to a guitar later if need be. Could be an option.

Good thoughts guys.
            Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
            Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

They are all 25.5 with 24 frets. Except the 22 fret RRs which you don't want anyways. There is nothing here with your bizarre demands. The scale length won't really bother you. I've had an sz520 and compared to a nice pro series, they are garbage. Good guitars none the less, they just don't add up next to the japanese made Jackson. You should just try a lot of them until you find what you like. With the spec sheet you have, you'll be looking at a custom almost. Ebony is not really common on guitars under 1000. Some are just stained rosewood and claim to be ebony. 25.5 and 24.75 are the most common scale sizes and 25.5's are indigenous to shredder guitars. They are quite comfortable actually, and i don't have really long fingers either. Anyways, you're best bet is too look around some more and try some stuff. They just don't make a cheap jackson with all these things yet. The closest is the DKMGT

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
                Hey guys, a forum newb here. I’m starting the search for my 2nd (ever) electric guitar, and I’d like some input. So far I’m leaning towards a Jackson.

Short background: been playing 2 years and I play mostly metal. My first guitar is an Ibanez SZ520QM. I LOVE that guitar. There are only a couple things I would change. I started thinking about what I would want in my 2nd electric and came up with:

• H-H config (love the sound)
                • Strat/superstrat (no V, etc.)
                • No trem
                • Active EMGs
                • Ebony fretboard

I went into GS and asked for the above. The dude looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my head. No luck at all.

After looking for a while, I realize I’ll probably have to relent on the ebony. Too bad.

The reason I’m leaning toward Jackson is I found a cheap beat-up guitar in GS that had a FABULOUS neck. It was a shorter scale, and had the perfect shape for my hand. The scale looked like it was about an inch shorter than the Rhoades I held it up against. Sorry, didn’t take a measuring tape. The problem is that GS has NO idea what it is besides the tag that reads “Used Dinky: $149”.

GS is the only Jackson dealer in town and they don’t have enough in stock for me to make a decision. So here I am, asking the Jackson community.

Any tips guys?
                WTF is GS?

Why didn't you buy the $149 Used Dinky if you liked it? Sounds like a good price.

Jackson and Charvel had (in the past) Fusion models that were short scale. They had very thin necks.

The Fusion HH has dual hums, but rosewood with dots.

Fusion Pro's had ebony with MOP sharkies and binding.

I don't think I've ever seen a non-trem Fusion. Would blocking the trem be an acceptable substitute? Pickups you would have to swap.

The other alternative is a DK-1 with EMGs, but it's a longer scale, and still would need to be blocked.

If you are into building mutts, you could get what you want.

Comment

SLSMG perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    WTF is GS?
                    Guitar Center

Why didn't you buy the $149 Used Dinky if you liked it? Sounds like a good price.
                    Good question.
                    1. It was very beat up
                    2. I'm pretty sure it was an Indian model JS1. Non-locking trem, no lock nuts. corroded tuners. Blech.
                    3. JS1 sells for $219, so $149 for a beat up one is a terrible price.

The serial # starts with 06 so I'm assuming that's when it was made.

I guess my real question is can I get that neck shape and scale length in a US or Japanese made Jackson? I can start another thread for that question.
                    Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                    Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by tooslowhand View Post
                      SLSMG perhaps?
                      That's what I was thinking

Also as far as I know the most common 25" scale guitars are Carvin and PRS, both of which are not cheap.

Comment

SLSMG = great guitar

Comment

WTF is GS?
                          Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
                          Guitar Center
                          Hmmm, not sure, but I think that would be GC
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here in the good 'ole Midwest it's Gittar Senter.

Comment

If your looking for a used.... I really like my DR3... I have a SD JB in the bridge now.... sounds great.

Yo Kramer Infinity Sustainer
                              Kramer Focus 3000
                              Jackson DR3
                              Washburn SB-8 T-Bird

Comment

Working...
                              X