Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG EMG-Hz vs. SLSMG EMG85/81 Neck-specs

Hi,

i've read that the older SLSMGs that came with the EMG-HZ Pickups preinstalled have thinner necks compared to the ones sold today with the EMG85/81 PUs.
    Anyone can confirm this?

As i prefer thin necks that would be a reason for me trying to get one.
    My SLSMG (09 Modell) has a thinner neck than the SL2h i had played in a store
    but it is still thicker than the ones on my old 90s Jacksons (Stealth Pro, JDR94 for example).

Originally posted by StealthPro View Post
    Hi,

i've read that the older SLSMGs that came with the EMG-HZ Pickups preinstalled have thinner necks compared to the ones sold today with the EMG85/81 PUs.
    Anyone can confirm this?
    I've never heard this before, and I seriously doubt that this would be the case.

Comment

I noticed my MIJ soloist has a slightly thicker neck than the DK2M I have played, but really I think it's just because it's painted. I doubt soloists necks that are all made in the same factoy would differ much from one another.

Comment

Actually, they do differ. The necks are pretty much hand-shaped, so you get variations between individual instruments. You can't generalize based on which year the guitar was made, as a result.

Comment

Interesting, I figured they'd be CNC'd. If they are hand sanding to the point of actually changing neck shape, you would think it would vary per guitar, and not per model of guitar, however.

Comment

Originally posted by potatohead View Post
            Interesting, I figured they'd be CNC'd. If they are hand sanding to the point of actually changing neck shape, you would think it would vary per guitar, and not per model of guitar, however.
            It does. That's what I was saying; you can't generalize about them. BTW, even CNC'ed guitars from other brands often have the final neck shaping done by hand. I've played Schecter 7-strings with various neck thicknesses and shapes.

Comment

Hey thank you all!
              I didn't thought that i would get so many responses to that question.

I've read that somewhere on the internet.
              Too bad that it seems to be untrue.
              When i had read it, i thought - hmm - maybe they changed specs when Jackson revised there lineup in 2005/2006 (PUs, black Hardware and so on).

Comment

Working...
              X