Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some buying advice

Hi

I would want to buy my first Jackson. Have a bunch of Ibbys, Gibsons and all sorts of other brands, never had a Jackson. I was at a store today and they had an entry level Jackson with a sustainer and an archtop one. Necks felt nice, kinda like unfinished.

So i like to buy one, what would be a good one to get, Superstrat, Pup config doesn't matter (i like Hss, HS or HH) , like to have the unfinished neck feel, Trem or Fixed bridge doesn't matter.

Have around a grand to waste.

Thanks for the help

I've played a lot of imports. I would obviously suggest a US, but at the price they go for it's a bit of a commitment. I'd suggest a DK2 or DK2M. Amazing guitars. They re-define superstrat in my opinion. Anything from the pro series is good, but in the last year I've had a Pro Series Kelly red with flamed maple, a white DK2M and two DK2's and these have been some of my favorite beaters. I keep them nice, but i am not afraid to pull em' out. The neck is amazing it feels like a Gibson Humped and ibanez and had a baby. A little less thick than a Gibson and a similar flat neck profile like the Wizard necks. It's like a dragstrip on the back of a guitar. I am addicted to my fujigen Ibby's neck. Love the old profiles. Super thin, maybe too thin, but i got used to the Jackson really fast. In fact i like it just as much, for fun i like to alternate between them ever 10 minutes and it feels really weird.

So all in all, this as good a time as any to check out Jackson's. I'd say go check out the DK2M. It's got a nice comfy unfinished neck, comes with seymour duncans, has a wicked cool maple fretboard with ebony sharkfin inlays and matching neck and headstock binding. It's christmas all over again when you buy one of thoseé

hope that helps you. Now maybe some of the more knowledgeable members can add to that.

Comment

The only unfinished neck you can get for that money is one of the new charvels. Otherwise any of the MIJ jacksons are great guitars, but they have a satin finish on the necks(which is still very nice). The Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMG are ones I would look at if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        The only unfinished neck you can get for that money is one of the new charvels. Otherwise any of the MIJ jacksons are great guitars, but they have a satin finish on the necks(which is still very nice). The Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMG are ones I would look at if I were you.

I may have made myself not clear. Happens all the time. Neck may have had a satin finish, it was not sticky. nice and smooth

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          You're right. My bad. The ones i own now are pretty worn in and it gave a couple of nice dark maple sweat stains. I figured it was unfinished. Or maybe they are, mine are 2001's? I do remember the DK2M i got had a very light clear, but you could still lightly feel the grain. Not like a strat or the new prestige Ibanez's with that thick ass matte finish. ughhh

Comment

That guitar with a sustainer was probably a DK2S. Those are a nice guitar for the money. Older ones have crappy Duncan Designed pickups, but those are easily replaced. The DK2, in general, is probably the model in your price range that fits what you want the closest.

Comment

Funnily enough i was in a very similar situation to yourself: having owned Ibbys, USA Gibsons and fenders and being drawn towards Jackson

Last week I treated myself and bought a DK2M in the snow white finish and i can only reiterate what those before me have said. Its a fantastic guitar with the build quality and playability of a guitar twice its price. The Japanese really haven't slacked on the quality control.

I also like the unfinished neck feel and the DK2M does not disappoint. One thing i would say is a lot off people have had problems with the DK2M neck pocket so if you do decide to get one, check the neck pocket for asymmetry etc

Comment

Thanks. I wish there would be something in the 1-1.3 k range though. Its either 700 or 2000

I check out the DK2m's

Comment

Originally posted by dragsternj View Post
                  Thanks. I wish there would be something in the 1-1.3 k range though.
                  Oh there is. It's called a DK-1.

Comment

Not new, no way. You'd be lucky to find a used DK1 in good shape for a grand. They cost the same as a Soloist and are much more rare. However for $1300, you could find a very nice used DK1.

If you can find a dealer willing to special-order you a "bottom tier finish" DK1 for 30% off MAP then you can get one for $1300 brand new. Good luck with that... Special order isn't the same as "sitting collecting dust" and doesn't make for a very good bargaining session.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
                      check out the DK2M. It's got a nice comfy unfinished neck, comes with seymour duncans, has a wicked cool maple fretboard with ebony sharkfin inlays
                      Slight correction, the inlays are black delrin.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                        Not new, no way. You'd be lucky to find a used DK1 in good shape for a grand. They cost the same as a Soloist and are much more rare. However for $1300, you could find a very nice used DK1.

If you can find a dealer willing to special-order you a "bottom tier finish" DK1 for 30% off MAP then you can get one for $1300 brand new. Good luck with that... Special order isn't the same as "sitting collecting dust" and doesn't make for a very good bargaining session.
                        No, probably not new.

But take a look at this and tell me there aren't good deals out there.
                        http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104429

Comment

Oh yeah, used, you could choose from a bunch of really nice DK1's for $1000 - $1300. I thought you meant new.

Comment

Working...
                          X