DK2M vs BC Rich gunslinger retro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M vs BC Rich gunslinger retro

Hey guys I'm debating between a snow white DK2M or one of the new BC Rich gunslinger reissues. I have other jap made Jackson's & I know I'll like the sw but has anyone played one of the new gunslingers & can you give me your honest opinion on it's qaulity, feel, etc.

Thanks

IMHO, Ive never found a RC Bich that felt/played anywhere near as good as a Jackson, unless its a JS series then its pick your poison.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Which gunslinger? I know of at least 3. Either way, I wouldn't expect the build quality to be as good as the DK2M.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'd go for both. Seriously i've had a DK2M , but only played a Gunslinger retro for a couple of minutes and although the DK2M was sick, the gunslinger was more my style. It was a nice 80's flashy lime green single pick-up with original floyd. Love the maple even though it only has simple dot inlays to the dk2ms lovely shark teeth. All in all it felt better in my hands. That's not to say that the DK2M's are bad, i think there is something for everyone, but try them both and you'll see they are a little bit the same and at the same time very different. If you have the money, buy both

Comment

Eh, I played a Gunslinger and thought it was great, looked cool too.

DK2Ms are great too.

I'd go for the DK2M, because Gunslinger retro only has one pickup. but then again, I play prog metal, so I like versatility.

My guess is that you can't go wrong. I've tried BC Rich guitars that I absolutely hate, but I played one of those "Exotic" or whatever Mockingbirds and it was pretty good.

Also, I played one of the USA-Built Chuck Schuldiner stealths that was good.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
            Also, I played one of the USA-Built Chuck Schuldiner stealths that was good.

This one, to be exact. The price was rediculous and totally not worth it. I'd rather have a custom shop Jackson, but I AM a huge Chuck fan (I'm having a custom shop warrior tribute made soon, hope it will be great)
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Would come down to feel of the neck, not quality.
              I wouldn't say that an import Jackson are better than current import BC's at all, in fact if anything it's the opposite.

Search around as people start posting reviews of the new BC's, i think there will be a lot of positive remarks.

Someone just posted ... ah guess it's just some pics(no review) here actually a few weeks ago, http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104011

Anyway my Stealth Slays, no question it's what you'd expect from USA Jackson quality.
              Last edited by Trem; 03-15-2010, 12:17 AM.

Comment

They make a Gunslinger Retro with two pickups. I faced that exact same choice and I went for the DK2M since I felt it was a better quality guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Scream And Fly View Post
                  They make a Gunslinger Retro with two pickups. I faced that exact same choice and I went for the DK2M since I felt it was a better quality guitar.
                  Right. I played one a couple weeks ago that had the EMG 81/85 combo in it. The neck felt a lot like an Ibanez RG, but just a little thinner. Who knows, it could be your thing.

It sounded awful, but maybe it was the Peavy tube amp I was playing it through.

It was awfully pricey at $900 too.
                  Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                  Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
                  Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
                  Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
                  Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan_Wood View Post
                    Right. I played one a couple weeks ago that had the EMG 81/85 combo in it. The neck felt a lot like an Ibanez RG, but just a little thinner. Who knows, it could be your thing.

It sounded awful, but maybe it was the Peavy tube amp I was playing it through.

It was awfully pricey at $900 too.
                    I don't think the EMGs helped either. Is it just me or those pick-ups really start to sound good in thick bodied guitar like a Les paul, old school flying v's and explorers or neckthroughs? They gotta be on high gain, cause they just sound weird on crunch channels personally. The only thing i really like about the gunslinger over the dk2m is the funky finishes. I am a sucker for bright 80's colors. I totally love my desert yellow RG and i also loved my cheesy ''shocking pink'' jem. I'd love a Slime green Charvel better than that bc rich though. I think they are around the same price.

Comment

I'm going to vote Gunslinger.
                      On the Jackson forum, the vote is, of course, going to lean toward...Jackson.
                      Go on the B.C. Rich forum, and the vote will go towards the BC.

But my take on it is this, I've had lots of Gunslingers (USA ones), and after 20 years of playing, they are my favorite guitar to play. They do lack versatility due to the one pickup but are great playing and incredibly well built instruments. The new Gunslinger retro's are excellent guitars. I was shocked when I tried one out because it really was so similar to the vintage ones.
                      The retro's have a real Floyd Rose (although not of the German variety) but a much higher quality unit than will come on a DK2M. Criticizing construction on the two guitars is tough. I have not seen too many of the new Gunslinger's in person but have seen a ton of the Jackson's and have also seen a fair share of them with setup and minor cosmetic issues. My friend has a DK2M that he really likes but the first thing he did to it was put an OFR on it because, his words "the Jackson tremolo's not that great"-(he is an accomplished luthier and manager of an authorized Jackson music store).
                      Now the BC's are made in Korea and the Jackson is made in Japan. Conventionally, I'd think the Japanese guitar would be better hands down. A lot of really well built guitars have been coming out of Korea lately. I just got an ESP/LTD George Lynch Serpent that was built in Korea and I'm still amazed at how great the guitar is. Never thought I'd be an advocate for any Korean guitars but if it's good, it's good.
                      BC did take a cheap route this year, the second year of production for the retro's, by using Rockfield pickups instead of DiMarzio Super Distortions. The DiMarzio pickups are what the original Gunslingers had. I don't know first hand how the Rockfield's sound but have not heard anything negative about them either. Everyone I've talked to about the Gunslinger retro's is very happy with them. Ideally, for the sake of versatility, the Gunslinger retro blade (the red one) has an additional single coil with a 3 way switch. That's the one I played and thought it was very nice..and IMO, a much better guitar-playability, sustain, build quality, paint quality, tremolo, neck-than a DK2M. They are readily available on ***y for $599 or so. Jackson also this year got rid of a multitude of finish options on the DK2 this year. Then again the BC is available in very limited colors.
                      The best option is to be patient and spend about an extra hundred bucks on one of the U.S.A. 80's Gunslingers.
                      On a side note, I did have a DK2S and it was a very good player but I still prefer the BC's.
                      2 BC Rich USA Gunslinger's-lightning bolt graphic
                      BC Rich USA Mockingbird-candy apple red metallic
                      BC Rich USA STIII-gray snakeskin
                      Ibanez RG770DX-lazer blue
                      Kramer Sustainer American-black

Comment

I had both the slinger' retro and 2 of the dk2ms. The BCR is much better. The Super distortion screamed and the floyd was a real floyd, unlike the jackson which would lose tune with extreme trem usage. Most of my friends really liked the BCR. it has tht cool 80's vibe.

For the price though, I'd get a Charvel promod which blows the BCR away.

Comment

One more thing...

"Jackson" makes me think of Megadeth.

"BC Rich Gunslinger" makes me think of CC DeVille. <shudder>

Everyone's tastes are different tho.
                          Jackson DK2 (trans blue)
                          Jackson DKMGT, EMG-Hz (trans black)
                          Ibanez SZ520QM (blue)
                          Esteban American Heritage (HSN special)
                          Fender Precision 1982 w/EMG P&J (road worn for real)

I yearn to shred.

Comment

I haven't tried the bcrich gunslingers but Ill ad some brief input on the DK2M that I own:

I bought my DK2M for 530$ shipped brand new. It came with a nice case with plenty of storage, but the case didnt have a snug fit. (for those of you saying, "why is he mentioning the case?" its simply because it just adds to which guitar gets you a better deal)
                            The guitars neck texture felt horrible but it broke in after a few hours and feels absolutely smooth as silk.
                            The neck is about as thick as a Charvel production model from what I remember when I played both, minus the rolled edges. Mine didnt come with the neck joint problem. The binding was flawless and nothing bad to say about the grain in the wood. The neck is REALLY REALLY good tho. Basically a thin C shape that just feels so fast without giving you cramps like wizrd necks or something.

The sound is where the guitar doesnt excell for my tastes. The sound is great for searing leads but it doesnt have much bass. The chords come off sounding trebly and not very boomy when you want it to be. Has plenty of punch but not much warmth. The neck pickup doesnt sound warm niether. Its a much lower output pickup but still lacks warmth. I'm going to replace the trem to see if it'll sound much better but until then Ill say that its GREAT for leads and bad for rhythms.

As for the Trem itself. I dont need a luthier telling me its a bad trem or not. The trem hasnt gone out of tune for me thus far and Ive had my DK2M since last year and it works perfectly as it should. I can do whatever I want to the trem and it still works perfectly granted I know NOT to turn the trem posts with the strings still attached under full tension. This ruins trems instantly. I will only consider swapping the trem to see if it can add some much needed warmth to the sound.

Overall, I'm super satisfied with this guitar and I don't plan to sell it ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Acesofbelkan View Post
                              I haven't tried the bcrich gunslingers but Ill ad some brief input on the DK2M that I own:

I bought my DK2M for 530$ shipped brand new. It came with a nice case with plenty of storage, but the case didnt have a snug fit. (for those of you saying, "why is he mentioning the case?" its simply because it just adds to which guitar gets you a better deal)
                              The guitars neck texture felt horrible but it broke in after a few hours and feels absolutely smooth as silk.
                              The neck is about as thick as a Charvel production model from what I remember when I played both, minus the rolled edges. Mine didnt come with the neck joint problem. The binding was flawless and nothing bad to say about the grain in the wood. The neck is REALLY REALLY good tho. Basically a thin C shape that just feels so fast without giving you cramps like wizrd necks or something.

The sound is where the guitar doesnt excell for my tastes. The sound is great for searing leads but it doesnt have much bass. The chords come off sounding trebly and not very boomy when you want it to be. Has plenty of punch but not much warmth. The neck pickup doesnt sound warm niether. Its a much lower output pickup but still lacks warmth. I'm going to replace the trem to see if it'll sound much better but until then Ill say that its GREAT for leads and bad for rhythms.

As for the Trem itself. I dont need a luthier telling me its a bad trem or not. The trem hasnt gone out of tune for me thus far and Ive had my DK2M since last year and it works perfectly as it should. I can do whatever I want to the trem and it still works perfectly granted I know NOT to turn the trem posts with the strings still attached under full tension. This ruins trems instantly. I will only consider swapping the trem to see if it can add some much needed warmth to the sound.

Overall, I'm super satisfied with this guitar and I don't plan to sell it ever.
                              +1 I hate when people quote retarded professionals on their daily rants. Thing is the Jt580 is a great trem when compared to a lot of other junk imports usually get. If it goes out of tune, then there is a good chance you're luthier can't set-up a floyd for shit. It's true that the Floyd Rose logo is enticing, but that alone wouldn't give me a reason to buy the B.C. They are both great guitars that share similar ground, but for out of the box fun I'd go with the BC rich. I like the rockfields. They aren't bad, if anything I'd only tire of them in a month, but like aces just mentioned the seymours don't sound right in this guitar. I swapped mine with a Paf Pro and a super distortion i had lying around and i have to say it awakened the beast quite literally. I'd get a Retro slinger just cause I've been lusting for a gunslinger and I'm really glad they re-issued them. They were fairly easy to find online, but i prefer to buy locally and they don't show up often. Oddly enough, there is a ton of early class axe St-III's and warlocks around here. first Platinum series and i bought two L.A. series models. Total garbage, but the kind of garbage you have around partly because you don't like having a totally clean room and because you're also too lazy to make the effort.

Comment

Working...
                              X