DK2M neck??..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M neck??..??

Got a new DK2M few weeks ago and have been very happy with it. This thread is not intended to whine and moan as overall i love my new guitar. However, i was slightly disappointed with the neck. The neck alignment was such that the high e string was very near to the edge of the fretboard; this was easily rectified by loosening the screws a small amount and realigning to (what i consider) perfection.

As well as this very minor problem, the neck was angled too far forward, making it difficult to get the low action i desired all over the neck (one of the main reasons i bought a jackson). To solve this problem i had to place a neck shim (very thin piece off cardboard) in the neck pocket on the side closest to the body.

Now i am very very happy with this guitar which has a very low action all over the neck with very little buzz.

I ask you this; are these problems just me being picky or are they quality control issues which should have been addressed before the guitar left the factory? Has anybody else had similar problems?

I think having to do some setup work is acceptable on a new guitar, but when it comes to having to shim the neck... ...no, that is not okay. I would be very disappointed if first thing I had to do, was dismantle the guitar to get it to play well.

Comment

I just bought a DK2M a couple months ago. I haven't had any issues with it yet. But I did send it in for a set up as soon as I took it off the wall. These things are made on assembly lines so if a few "bad" ones slip through the cracks, I wouldn't be surprised. Sweet guitars though. I wish I could play more often.

Comment

My DK1 has the neck angled like you describe, i.e. the fretboard overhang gets closer to the face of the guitar as you move away from the neck heel toward the pickup.

However, mine doesn't require a shim to get the action correct, the bridge sits plenty low to adjust the action to about 1/16th of an inch with no interference problems.

The neck alignment is probably more of a shipping issue than anything. But I'm curious how far forward the neck was angled...

As much as a lot of guys don't think it's a big deal, I'm of the opinion that a neck and body that are made to work with each other should not require a shim.

If you want some particular setup change (like raising the tremolo up to get more pull-up) or you specifically WANT to add more angle to a neck, then a shim may be necessary, but it shouldn't be required to make the guitar functional with low action.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          My DK1 has the neck angled like you describe, i.e. the fretboard overhang gets closer to the face of the guitar as you move away from the neck heel toward the pickup.

However, mine doesn't require a shim to get the action correct, the bridge sits plenty low to adjust the action to about 1/16th of an inch with no interference problems.

The neck alignment is probably more of a shipping issue than anything. But I'm curious how far forward the neck was angled...

As much as a lot of guys don't think it's a big deal, I'm of the opinion that a neck and body that are made to work with each other should not require a shim.

If you want some particular setup change (like raising the tremolo up to get more pull-up) or you specifically WANT to add more angle to a neck, then a shim may be necessary, but it shouldn't be required to make the guitar functional with low action.
          I agree with what you are saying and generally speaking i am sure you are correct. However, in this case it was clear the neck was designed to be at less of a forward angle than it in fact was. I could tell by observing that the neck binding did not run parallel to the heel joint. the shim merely corrected this and as a result the guitar plays a lot better with a lower action minus fret-outs and buzz.

Comment

That's why I sasked for a pic. Mine doesn't run parallel to the neck joint either... It's fairly obvious.

I mean, if you could not lower the bridge any more (or you felt it was sunk into the recess to far already) then I understand, but lowering the bridge would have lowered the action. It's also possible that your truss rod is too loose. :dunno:

Comment

Working...
            X