Moving on up ;). Trading my DK2 for a 94' Soloist pro standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
    That particular model is less sought-after than a Soloist Pro or a Soloist XL because it has the low-end TRS trem, rather than the better Schaller trem. If you replace the trem, then it's not functionally that much different.
    It's actually a pretty solid trem so far. Better than the 580lp on my DK2 Pro. Maybe it's because the blades aren't knicked and the posts seem to be pretty good. Since this is a really nice guitar, i would consider replacing it with an OFR. 200$ is nothing on a guitar i like this much. Also will be doing pick-up switches eventually. It's funny the bridge pick-up sounds good at low volume and even has a very unique tone, it just wasn't very good at band practice volume. It seemed wompy at times and the crispy high notes lost some dynamic. I am not experienced with these, but i don't think anyone would see it as a crime if i just switched in some Dimarzios.

I am going to start another thread for pictures, i really want to see the other Professional series Soloist from STDs to pros. See what people think about them in comparison to their other guitars. Thanks for all the information, you guys are awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
      It's actually a pretty solid trem so far. Better than the 580lp on my DK2 Pro. Maybe it's because the blades aren't knicked and the posts seem to be pretty good.
      That's probably it. They're the same JT-580 trem, otherwise. I've found that they don't hold up as well as OFRs, and the 'moving parts'--such as fine tuners--never seem to work as smoothly. You might want to go with a Schaller Floyd instead of an OFR, since the saddle string-locking screws stick really far out the back on the OFR and might not clear the trem recess on your guitar. However, I can't specifically remember whether that's a problem with a 580-to-OFR conversion. It is a problem on a 590 (Schaller)-to-OFR conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
        Can you make Fonzi jump the sharks?

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
          That's probably it. They're the same JT-580 trem, otherwise. I've found that they don't hold up as well as OFRs, and the 'moving parts'--such as fine tuners--never seem to work as smoothly. You might want to go with a Schaller Floyd instead of an OFR, since the saddle string-locking screws stick really far out the back on the OFR and might not clear the trem recess on your guitar. However, I can't specifically remember whether that's a problem with a 580-to-OFR conversion. It is a problem on a 590 (Schaller)-to-OFR conversion.

Yeah i could get an OFR pro, they are like the 590s, but not as shitty. I liked the old school floyds and edges because of the longer saddle screws, but i guess it's true you can save half an inch of routing with the saddles having tails and different screws for the string locks.

OFR pro is this one here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
            Yeah i could get an OFR pro, they are like the 590s, but not as shitty. I liked the old school floyds and edges because of the longer saddle screws, but i guess it's true you can save half an inch of routing with the saddles having tails and different screws for the string locks.
            No, the Floyd Rose Pro is different than the JT-590, which is just the Schaller Floyd with a Jackson logo. When it was first introduced in the late '80s, the Schaller was called the "Floyd Rose II." Actually, it was the second version of the FR-II; the first version used the same base plate but didn't employee locking saddles. The FR Pro uses a hardened steel base plate and is more like the OFR, but I think its "footprint" is different than either the OFR or Schaller.

I don't know whether the Floyd Pro would be compatible with the trem rout on your Soloist.

Comment

590s are shitty now?
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                590s are shitty now?
                I meant 580lp hehe. Don't get your panties up in a bunch

Comment

Working...
                X