help identifying jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identifying jackson

So this lady in my 'hood was selling off her sons guitar. All I needed to hear was "Jackson". I go over to check it out, it's a customized mess. The kid did some silly stuff to the finish, but I don't care. I abuse my gear through playing anyways. I gave her $89 for it, more of a mercy buy since it's silly looking. LOL. But what the heck is this thing? It's a 24 fret neck, H-S-S, licensed floyd. And it has a sticker with what I believe is a serial number on the back of the headstock. Some kinda import jackson I guess. I've only owned USA Jacksons so I don't know what this is.

Few pics:

http://img94.imageshack.us/g/0331000856c.jpg/

I'm not to good with lower end imports either, but I'd say you should have at least $89 in parts.

Those tuners don't look right.

That control cavity route doesn't look right.

Serial number doesn't look right.

Not sure if the headstock looks right.

Close together fret dots would indicate a Japan neck, unless I'm missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      I'm not to good with lower end imports either, but I'd say you should have at least $89 in parts.

Those tuners don't look right.

That control cavity route doesn't look right.

Serial number doesn't look right.

Not sure if the headstock looks right.

Close together fret dots would indicate a Japan neck, unless I'm missing something?
      Yeah i was thinking the same thing with the head stock. I can't help but wonder what's up with that. I think the Indian Cedro JS models are currently the only import dinkys sold with fret markers i think, but this could be older, like 98-2001 or 02

Comment

I would say its a ps but no logo? thats the only 24 fret besides a fusion thats a bolt on with h-s-s that I know of ( but theres no pro either?) if its an older DK I don't think they had at any time a revs head stock? how does it play, thats all that really matter anyway? I think????
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender View Post
          Yeah i was thinking the same thing with the head stock. I can't help but wonder what's up with that. I think the Indian Cedro JS models are currently the only import dinkys sold with fret markers i think, but this could be older, like 98-2001 or 02

they are 22 fret deals though?
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Not a Jackson.

Tuners are wrong and the headstock shape is slightly off, as mentioned before. Also, the logo is malplaced and the trussrod cover is incorrect. The neck dots are sort of close together, but not close enough to be a MIJ Jackson.

It goes on... The heel on the body is wrong, the back trem cover is non-recessed and the control layout is very non-Jacksonish.

Comment

Yeah, its either one of those chinese knock offs or one of those cheapies that come bundled with the cheap amp for $200.

Comment

wouldn't suprise me either way. I mean it plays fine, but there are some problems:

1) fret ends need deburring. typical after years of fretboard swelling over the seasons
                2) the tuners are complete shit. I've never felt machine heads this bad. they bind up a little when tightening. junk

But someone had put an EMG 81 in it before I bought so I didn't lose anything. I was going to use it for parts but it plays well enough so I'll keep it as a basement beater. LOL. thanks for the input guys.

Comment

looks like a js series, js30 or something like that.
                  worth about $100 in good condition

Comment

Originally posted by movek1 View Post
                    looks like a js series, js30 or something like that.
                    worth about $100 in good condition
                    Errr... no.

Comment

That serial # is nothing I have seen, I vote not a jackson, Chinese for sure!
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I'd have to agree. I pulled the neck but found no markings in the pocket or on the neck. the tuners are shit. didn't know they made chinese copies of jacksons, but I'm not suprised. it doesn't play bad but I'd never gig with it.

anyways, thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it

Comment

If it plays fine and sounds good, that's all that matters.

If it was me, I'd put some better tuners on there and do some really fun mods on it. Like, the Ace Frehley smoke bomb mod or something. You could use it as a really fun stunt axe.

Comment

Working...
                          X