Identifying Duncans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying Duncans

I bought a MIJ SL2H (one of the Sam Ash exclusive ones) a few months back. It is advertised as having a '59 and a JB, so that's what I figured it has as that is what the USA SL2H's have. I noticed a while back that Dinky's however have the Jazz/JB combo and just figured Jackson used the '59 in neck throughs. Well, I have been researching Kelly's now, and both the bolt on KE3 and neck through KE5FR use the Jazz/JB combo. Now I'm wondering if perhaps all MIJ Duncan equipped Jackson's use the Jazz/JB combo...

Other than taking the pickup out, is there an easy way to ID them?

Also on another topic, does the JB sound ok in mahogany? I have a mahogany RG with the V7/V8 combo and I am thinking of putting a Duncan Custom or Distortion in the Soloist and moving the JB to my Ibanez. I do have the RG in D standard as well, if that helps.

A lot of Duncan models are difficult to tell apart from the front. JB/Jazz/Custom/Full shred all pretty much look alike. The only real way to tell is pop it off at the next string change. The back will have a sticker with the model number. If it's a jazz it will be an SH-2n. A 59 will be an SH-1n if I recall correctly.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Hellbat, didn't the Full Shred have black allen-screw polepieces? I loved that pickup in my old Model 4.

I think the Holdsworth pickup had twin sets of adjustable polepieces too, like the FS, but those were regular nickel slot-head screws.

Comment

Yes the Full Shred has allen screws set screws for pole pieces on both coils.

Comment

You MIGHT be able to. The '59 has longer legs, like a Les Paul pickup, and will usually be a 2-conductor (although I've seen in the Pro Mods that they used a 4-conductor). The Jazz will not have the longer legs. So, if it has short legs and a 4-conductor wire (it's not silver braided on the outside) it's probably a Jazz.

Although, you CAN special-order either of those things away on the '59, so... Best bet is to take it out.

The JB should sound really good in Mahogany. I like it. I have a Mahogany Strat-style guitar with a JB in the bridge, running into a 500K pot, and it sounds good to my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            You MIGHT be able to. The '59 has longer legs, like a Les Paul pickup, and will usually be a 2-conductor (although I've seen in the Pro Mods that they used a 4-conductor). The Jazz will not have the longer legs. So, if it has short legs and a 4-conductor wire (it's not silver braided on the outside) it's probably a Jazz.

Although, you CAN special-order either of those things away on the '59, so... Best bet is to take it out.

The JB should sound really good in Mahogany. I like it. I have a Mahogany Strat-style guitar with a JB in the bridge, running into a 500K pot, and it sounds good to my ears.
            I think I'll pull it out on the next string change, which is pretty soon anyway. Taking all the strings off will let me oil the board too so it's not a bad thing.

I've heard good things about the Custom so I kind of want to try one out. The JB has to be better than the stock Ibanez pickup so I don't have much to lose I wouldn't think. Even if I prefer the JB in my Soloist I could move the Custom to my Ibanez because again, it has to be better than what's in that.

Comment

I have a custom in my SL1 and I absolutely LOVE it. I did disconnect the tone pot, though, to get it where I wanted it (too dark with it.)

Comment

Well, I took it out tonight while watching the hockey game, and it's a SH-2, which is a Jazz, so that is cool. I like the sound of it but thought it was a '59 and that I may like the Jazz more, so now I don't really have to experiment in the neck. I prefer the bridge or both pickups for rythym most of the time anyway. I do think I'll pick up a Custom or something similar shortly... Something with a bit of a mid cut anyway.

Comment

I like the jazz more as well, you are not alone.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by potatohead View Post
                    I do think I'll pick up a Custom or something similar shortly... Something with a bit of a mid cut anyway.
                    A '59 has a little bit of a mid cut. Want a little more power with a mid cut? Try a Custom 5.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X