Scored a Kelly STD for 133.33 dollars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a Kelly STD for 133.33 dollars

by the way.. it still has the "Kelly STD" truss cover. does this mean its an earlier.. and hopefully better model?

also, im not sure if this is the squared or rounded JT580LP.. some say that one of these have wider cavities that can accept an OFR. is this true?

man lots of refinishing and refretting to do....
    when you ask for a refretting job.. how does that handle the compound radius part?
    do luthiers know this specificcaly for jackson guitars? or do you have to tell them this?

That's the angled plate JT580LP. Some were squared off like a OFR plate but never heard of "rounded". I think these have a wider route which makes a lot of space around an OFR... if it would even fit with the long lock bolts in the back. By the SN, I think it's a '96. And a luthier should know but if you have to tell him, it's a 12-16 radius... If you have to tell him, he may not be the right guy for the job.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
      That's the angled plate JT580LP. Some were squared off like a OFR plate but never heard of "rounded". I think these have a wider route which makes a lot of space around an OFR... if it would even fit with the long lock bolts in the back. By the SN, I think it's a '96. And a luthier should know but if you have to tell him, it's a 12-16 radius... If you have to tell him, he may not be the right guy for the job.
      thanks buddy. im thinking about putting stainless frets on this. btw, what are the speed necks specific fret size? how do you guys feel with that kind of fret?

Comment

Originally posted by leevan_lee View Post
        thanks buddy. im thinking about putting stainless frets on this. btw, what are the speed necks specific fret size? how do you guys feel with that kind of fret?
        Before throughing a lot of money into this, consider if it's really your dream Kelly. Most people wouldn't put a high dollar refretting job into a neck unless it's a killer neck, like a DK1, a SoCal, a KE2 Kelly...

Just saying maybe rather than dumping a lot of money into this, you maybe should be saving.

Comment

well its not that easy here in the philippines. i have a jackson stars neck thru king v i use as my player and i really just want this kelly to be my working guitar since
          its a bit challenging to compose and practice on the V always

Comment

I have a Kelly Std. The neck is super thin, almost Ibanez thin. Great tone though.

The frets on that one don't look too bad, just need some polishing.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              I have a Kelly Std. The neck is super thin, almost Ibanez thin. Great tone though.

yeah, im not sure but i noticed that ibanez makes the neck wider as they go thinner which pretty much negates the benefit i get since my hands are small
              whereas jackson necks have always hit the spot. Ps3t rhoads, charvel 3dr, this kelly, and stars king v, all awesome. since then i never purchased any other guitar brand.

anyway im just worried because if you look at the first pic, one of the frets have been smashed..

Comment

anyway im just worried because if you look at the first pic, one of the frets have been smashed..
                I think it's just the shadow of the string above it, but I guess you'll find out when you get it. That is a great price for it.
                Scott

Comment

+1 Clean those babies up first before deciding on a fret job. They look more than playable in the photos ...once they're polished.

Comment

I think it's just the shadow of the string above it, but I guess you'll find out when you get it. That is a great price for it.
                    well the string above got bent because something hit the fret really hard. its really bent. i guess il just have that one fret re-fretted.

Comment

well the string above got bent because something hit the fret really hard. its really bent. i guess il just have that one fret re-fretted.
                      Now I see it. I wonder what hit it? You'll probably need to change the fret above it too.

In any case, two frets are cheaper than a whole refret (which at least over here can run as much as $300, well over the value of the guitar).
                      Scott

Comment

133.33 not bad, but kelly gave me my STD for free

Comment

Grahf - I don't think a luthier can fix that...
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
                            133.33 not bad, but kelly gave me my STD for free
                            Dah, beat me to it

Comment

well a refret job here inclusive of the stewmac nickel frets costs about 60 dollars.
                              though im hoping for stainless ones. ive polished them and the upper frets are pretty bad with sinks in them..
                              Last edited by leevan_lee; 04-21-2010, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X