Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Jackson rr3's

Hey!

I have been looking for an rr3 for a while now, and finally it seems like I have found something very interesting. I saw a guy who sells two jackson rr3's but the "problem" is that he doesn't know so much about them and the pictures I've got form him ain't the best.. But maybe you can tell from the pickguard colors or something when they were made? In fact any info is more then welcome to me! All I know is that there are duncan designed on them, and it seems to be different pickup setup on the guitars.

RR3 #1

RR3 #2

Just a little bit of inexperience, I believe the 2nd pic is the later one due to the Duncan Designed "invader" knock offs. I believe that's their famous pickup for the later 3 series guitars.
    Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
    http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Originally posted by CKJ View Post
      Just a little bit of inexperience, I believe the 2nd pic is the later one due to the Duncan Designed "invader" knock offs. I believe that's their famous pickup for the later 3 series guitars.
      Okey! Thanks for the info. So the second one is a hotter guitar?

I've tried to do some research for the RR guitars. And as far as I know, the rr3 is the only one with bolt on neck? cause thats what I'm looking for. Can't play with those wax necks.. :P

Comment

Originally posted by jonatanberg View Post
        I've tried to do some research for the RR guitars. And as far as I know, the rr3 is the only one with bolt on neck?
        sure not!
        there'd be the RX10D (pretty close to RR3, but rear routed), the JS30RR and JS35RR (24 frets. MII AFAIK. first one is string thru the latter one has some kind of floyd), the JRR94+PS3(string thru), PS3T(kind of floyded), RR2 (MI USA, really rare), just to name a few.
        maybe I forgot about some...
        the ones you'll most likely find most frequently should be the RR3, RX10D and the JS series. JRR and the PS were discontinued, but show up once in a while just as well.
        you should be able to find information on any of these guitars here.
        they're all nice guitars, but I'd take MIJ over MII. though there's even some really nice JS guitars, the quality control should be better with the ones from japan. so if you order a guitar without beeing able to try it, you should be more safe with a MIJ guitar IMO.
        if you don't mind the two extra frets of the JS, the RR3 is a good choice. best would be to try them both and just take the one you like best.
        Last edited by micha; 05-08-2010, 05:01 PM.
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
          sure not!
          there'd be the RX10D (pretty close to RR3, but rear routed), the JS30RR and JS35RR (24 frets. MII AFAIK. first one is string thru the latter one has some kind of floyd), the JRR94+PS3(string thru), PS3T(kind of floyded), RR2 (MI USA, really rare), just to name a few.
          maybe I forgot about some...
          the ones you'll most likely find most frequently should be the RR3, RX10D and the JS series. JRR and the PS were discontinued, but show up once in a while just as well.
          you should be able to find information on any of these guitars here.
          they're all nice guitars, but I'd take MIJ over MII. though there's even some really nice JS guitars, the quality control should be better with the ones from japan. so if you order a guitar without beeing able to try it, you should be more safe with a MIJ guitar IMO.
          if you don't mind the two extra frets of the JS, the RR3 is a good choice. best would be to try them both and just take the one you like best.
          Oh, I forgot those ones! You're absolutely right!

But I didn't think of them since I thought they were more "budget" guitars.. am I right?

The RR3 should be a more quality guitar in general?

Comment

yes, they are budget.
            but that doesn't have to be bad.

out of the bolt-on-rhoads-series, the RR3 is probably considered the highest grade one (well, except of the RR2, but you won't find one of these...).
            but I've read a whole lot of good things about the RX10D here as well.
            due to the missing pickguard and less knobs, it looks a bit cleaner, which is nice, if you like it, and it should be quite compareable to the RR3.
            all the others have dot inlays, so if sharkfins is what you like, you might stick with one of those.

I once played a friends JS30KV for a while (I consider it to play very similar to a JS30RR or the floyded JS35RR), and it wasn't bad either. the neck was a bit more chunky, which wasn't for me, but it felt really solid.
            I do own a JRR94 (80€ ebay) and a PS3T(~150€) as well, and they're both nice guitars. really.
            I bought the PS3T second hand about ten years ago, and it was my main player for maybe 6 years, and so far it never really let me down. the neck on this one is incredibly thin, I love it!
            the trem is of course cheaper than a real floyd rose and I had to replace the trem-stick with an OFR one since the part of the trem that was meant to hold it broke, but it was an easy and cheap fix, the trem itself is still working fine and it did take 5 years of heavy abuse without complaint (plus the years it worked for the pre-owner) to make it break.
            so I guess it's just alright for the price.
            the PUs were kind of weak, but I tend to replace these anyway.
            except of my custom which I ordered the way I wanted it, I replaced PUs in all my guitars over the years, so I wouldn't mind buying a guitar without at all...
            but the stock ones did their job aswell.

what I like about jacksons budget guitars is, that you get a fine instrument which is budget mostly because of replaceable hardware.
            the action is still awesome, and they play really great if you take the time to set them up.
            PUs are a question of preference anyway. I'd not make that a priority when it comes to deciding for a model.
            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Get the serial #s and I should give you approximate year of manufacture...
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
              X