SL3 - question on year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL3 - question on year

Local dealer is desperately trying to dump an SL3 Natural they've had in inventory for a couple years. The serial starts with 03 so I'm assuming 2003 model. Anything to look out for on these? Are the trems decent, etc? I would look up the 03 catalog scans but Henrik's site appears to be down or unaccessible from work for me.

I get an extra paycheque in June so I may impulse buy this if I can get the store to drop their pants far enough and they just want it gone enough. (They are currently at $900)

This would likely replace my Model 5 if I do jump on it. It would be hard to justify two neckthrough superstrats to even myself, nevermind the wife...
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

I picked up one of the Sam Ash soloists for less than $900 USD... That had arch top, binding, FR2000... You should be able to get them to come down I think.

Comment

Where is this? Tom Lee in Richmond has one but I can't remember if it's H/S/S or H/H.

Comment

It's the one at Tom Lee in Richmond. It's an SL3 - H/S/S. They had it at $1100 for the last 2-3 years and I think now they are trying to get it out of inventory.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The newer ones have the FR-2000 and come with a case... That's practically $300 in upgrades right there. Offer them $800 on that basis, and see if they bite.

Comment

No kidding, if it has been there since 2003, they'll sell it. I'd offer $700 to start.

Comment

Are the JT-580LP's decent on these? (Keep in mind I'm used to a jt-6)
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Why the hell would you put up that kind of cash for a 7 year old guitar?
                Tell me about it!

Comment

I don't care for the JT-580 just because it's such a bitch, relative to the FR2000 guitars, to swap the lock nut for an R3 Floyd nut. You know it's going to wear out.

It's also a bitch to find a case that fits a Soloist because of the angled headstock.

Honestly, I don't think you're missing out on much if you let this pass, especially after re-reading your OP and realizing you have a nice neck-through import already. :dunno:

Comment

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a new camera body for myself and and finally getting an OFR and some fretwork for the Model 5. It's just the price dropped to the point where I can afford an impulse buy versus having to save for a month or two hehe.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

anyone have a few nice photos of one of these? I don't know very much about the Soloists beyond 1990 and nothing on newer ones HOWEVER, I believe I am looking at an SL3 that I'm considering buying as it is a nice guitar and a nice price. Characteristics/ Pros? Cons? Are they all Alder/Maple. Japan I already assume by the serial...and the build, has jackson with "R", numbers at the base of the fretboard, but absent all else. Online photos don't show much detail...if anyone has anything I'd appreciate it.
                      Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                      98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by _koppen View Post
                        Why the hell would you put up that kind of cash for a 7 year old guitar?
                        What's reasonable then? It's NOS, it's not like it has been toured with for seven years. To buy a new one today (here, in Canada) is about $1300.

Comment

Yeah considering it has been a floor model for a long time it's in fabulous shape. It has good hardware and was given a recent once-over/setup. I know the newer ones are better but like potatohead says, a new SLAT3-6 runs around $1200 and I think the SL3's run aboot 1300-1400 for a trans finish.

Natural is my least favorite trans finish though (When it comes to flame maple at least.) so thats a negative for me. I have no issues with the rosewood fingerboard. The MOTO sharkies are a bit gaudy though once you are used to real MOP.
                          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

For me it's way too easy to justify two neckthrough superstrats...
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                              For me it's way too easy to justify two neckthrough superstrats...
                              yeah but you have 5 neck through superstrats so your opinion is a little OTT Mr Moneybags

i have a wife too and its hard enough justifying having a guitar, let alone multiples!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X