Ngd: Dr3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ngd: Dr3

Got a used Japanese DR3 from GuitarCenter a few days ago and have decided to hold onto it. Before plugging it in I noticed the intonation was excellent and that this guitar was loud—louder than any electric guitar I’ve played unplugged. It sounds great through my JCM 2000 and is one of the best metal guitars I’ve heard.

The finish is dark trans green. It’s so dark that in low light it looks black and in good light I still have to strain to see the green in it. The catalog scan lists this model as “Poplar (w/Flame Maple Veneer) or Mahogany.” Maybe the dark tint (not the green dye) comes from mahogany? Anyone know how to tell? It has a unique sound even for a Jackson and I’m really impressed with it.

The serial # is 9665202 and it was built around 2000. (Where’s that serial thread?—lol—I can’t find it.) Whoever added the steel pup rings and SD’s signed his name in the neck pocket. The way it’s currently set up I have to remove the steel rings to adjust the pup height. The two SD pups are a nice upgrade—a ’59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge—instead of the usual Duncan Designed stockers. I added a brass L block and plan on changing the pup coil covers to chrome and adding a chrome allen key holder. I think it sounded better with the original block since the big L block only added more overall bass. I’d like to hear a stainless steel or titanium block on this guitar. I’ll probably delete the tone control from the bridge pup setting, too.

I’ve never owned a reverse before and since I’m right handed I’ve found it makes using a string crank a lot easier. Didn’t expect this, but it’s definitely an advantage.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by Trussrod; 05-17-2010, 07:07 AM.

That's sweet! I think I spooged a little.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

Sweet.
      I like the dark green.
      Models
      The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
      I dont need furniture.
      If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
      If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
      And rock that sucker.

Comment

I have a 96 DR3 and really like it. I also replaced the bridge pup with a JB.. sounds great. Here's some pic's.

Yo Kramer Infinity Sustainer
        Kramer Focus 3000
        Jackson DR3
        Washburn SB-8 T-Bird

Comment

That's a nice top. It's kind of like chlorine, but with a hint of green in the lighter areas.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Thanks guys. DR3's are great guitars. I hadn't read much about them here but the MIJ models are as good as a DK2.

Comment

Working...
            X