Putting OFR on a Jackson DX10D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting OFR on a Jackson DX10D

Hey, I need to replace the trem on this. I was wondering if a normal OFR would fit on the JT-580LP, if it will fit in a low pro route on this body. Also will the studs fit or do I have to remove the old ones and put the new studs in it? Thanks

What I'm asking is if a OFR will fit on a body that was made with a low pro, whatever the difference is.

Comment

It's hit or miss. Not all JT580LP's have the same dimensions--some have wider base plates than others. Even when an OFR does fit the space the edges of the trem route on the body and the OFR are inconsistent.

The good news is the post spacing and the posts themselves will work with an OFR.

After experimenting with an 80's-era OFR on numerous guitars I have to say that I am not that impressed with OFR's as compared to the licensed FR's. The main difference--other than better steel and plating--is the brass sustain block. IMO the most bang for your buck is to add a brass block to your LFR. It's the only difference my ears have noticed between OFR's and LFR's.

Comment

i wouldnt bother, the new trem is worth more than the whole guitar

are you having trouble with the JT-580LP trem?

Comment

I'm thinking of changing my Warrior Pro's JT-590 for an OFR, but have been told not to because of the long-throw poles potentially scratching the edge of the trem cavity. I was thinking of putting the shorter poles into the OFR. Are the screw ends of these poles the same?
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yeah I'm having problems with it going out of tune. I can get a lic floyd lo pro but the OFR is only a bit more. But I took it all apart today and oiled everything and it seems to hold tune but, when I look at it on the tuner it seems not to. But it sounds like it's still in tune. I don't know but the ground wire in back came out and I have to solder it back on and then I'll look again.

Comment

hmm well, the guitar plays really well, price doesn't matter if a guitar plays good and I like it, that's all that counts. I have some cheapy DXMGT which imho are good players. Price is not always important if it's a player, it plays.

Comment

true, if you like the sound and want to upgrade then go for it, if the post centre to centre distance is the same then you should be able to swap it out, if you need to change the posts then hopefully the new posts thread is the same as the inserts in the guitar body, then you may or may not have to remove wood from the guitar to make the trem rock properly

maybe compare the routing patern for an OFR to the route already machined on your guitar, these are on the floyd rose website

Comment

Thanks for you replies. I don't think I'll need to do it now, I changed the nut, filed the knife edges and oiled it and it keeps tune much better, but not perfect. But it goes out of tune togethor so it still sounds in tune if you know what I mean. This JT580-LP is kind of crap I think but I don't dive much so I think it'll play. I like the way it feels and it doesn't matter to me if it's a $100 or $1000000 guitar if it doesn't play it's no good to me.

Comment

This guitar really puzzles me. I wish I had my camera. It looks like DX10D, with 2-h-h, and shark tooth inlays. But the finish is not amber sunburts, but a light orange/amber over a flame top. It is only darker red on the side and back. It looks like it is supposed to be an amber or cherry sunburst but much too light. Also, the serial number is 8 digits but starts with 00. From what I read, this may be made in Korea or India, but which I don't know. I am pretty sure it's a DX10D except for the peculiar color. Maybe it was just one that they made a mistake on who knows. Would like to know where it was made and if it's a DX10D because it looks like one except I don't see any offered in this particular color and I think the wood is poplar, from when I took the pickups out. Plus the pickups look like aftermarket. Everything seems to point to a DX10D, just a really strange one.

Comment

Have you taken the neck off yet to check for written/stamped info in the neck pocket? Look at the heel of the neck, too. You might have a better idea after you check.

Comment

No I'll do that when I change the strings next time. IT looks exactly like this DK2 I saw with Amber Tiger Stripe finish except it's HH and not HSS. Shark inlay reversed, reverse headstock. Looks exactly like a DX10D with 5 way switch, 2 knobs, inlays and rererse, except I don't see any with this kind of finish.

Comment

Working...
                        X