Trading my Stars for a Pro, Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading my Stars for a Pro, Need Advice

So, this person is willing to trade his 1993 RR Pro, in really good condition plus a DK2S also in good condition for my near brand new Jackson Stars J2K.

Is this a good deal? I think its a real bargain. The only thing conflicting in my mind is that
    I dont really like the Active setup and 22 frets. Also, I dont really have any use for the DK2S except post it up for trade to a DK2M.

So its Value over utility for me... would you guys go for the trade?

PS, it would really be good to hear characteristics and reviews on the RR Pros of 1993. How are they like?
    Last edited by leevan_lee; 05-23-2010, 09:38 AM.

If the RR Pro has ebony (it should) I'd do it.

Electronics aren't difficult to change, and you just might like the DK2S. 2 Guitars are more useful than one (alternate tunings, etc).

Are these both with cases?

I'd value an ebony pro in good shape at around $700-$800 and a DK2S in good shape at around $300-$400.

So you are getting IMO $1000 to $1200 for your Stars.

Comment

I have a Jackson Soloist from 1990. It's the best guitar I've played so far. If the RR Pro is neckthrough, ebony fretboard, Jackson Schaller Floyd and the whole set up, I would. If worst comes to worst, you can sell the DK2S and make some extra money.

Comment

Id say its a good deal. Hell the DK2S can still pull $400+ on eBay alone.
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yeah its the 1993 Neck through Professional with emg 81/85 and Ohsc
          and
          a red mint condition DK2S

the Jackson Stars i have
          Kahler 2320
          Duncan 59n TB-5
          Striped Ebony Thru neck 24 frets
          (1500 dollars total to get it)
          Last edited by leevan_lee; 05-23-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Do it. I've been wanting an RR Pro myself, just can never find one.
            I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
            ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
            Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
            Blackstar Soloist HT60
            Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
            Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Well if you physically have $1500 into the Stars Id be inclined to say it may not be that great a deal. Used RR Pros go from 6-800, and a DK2S will go from 4-500, so chances are youll be losing money.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

i think im trading for it. the additional variety in sound and feel ill get is probably worth it

Comment

But if the guitar cost you 1500, I'd say no.

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                    But if the guitar cost you 1500, I'd say no.
                    But, if the street value of the Stars Guitar is a $1000, trading for the Pro and the DK2 is a good deal. What a person pays for something means nothing when it comes to current value. He can't sell the Stars Guitar for $1500, no one will pay it, unless he gets lucky. USAs are selling around $1000-1200, so getting a $800 RR Pro and a $400 DK2S is a better deal with regards to the current values. However, if you really dig an axe, and it'll suit your needs better I'd take that into consideration as well, so long as I wasn't losing a ton of dough.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
                      But, if the street value of the Stars Guitar is a $1000, trading for the Pro and the DK2 is a good deal. What a person pays for something means nothing when it comes to current value. He can't sell the Stars Guitar for $1500, no one will pay it, unless he gets lucky. USAs are selling around $1000-1200, so getting a $800 RR Pro and a $400 DK2S is a better deal with regards to the current values. However, if you really dig an axe, and it'll suit your needs better I'd take that into consideration as well, so long as I wasn't losing a ton of dough.

Yeah but if he just got the guitar and spent so much on it, it would be a bad deal. Not that the RR Pro is a lesser guitar and the DK2S is a pretty kewl guitar too!

Comment

Originally posted by algeriet View Post
                        Yeah but if he just got the guitar and spent so much on it, it would be a bad deal. Not that the RR Pro is a lesser guitar and the DK2S is a pretty kewl guitar too!
                        I understand that, and he does stand to lose some money, but if the other guitars suit his needs better, I'd consider it. As a guitar player, if he digs the RR PRO and the DK2S, he should do it. It pretty rare for people to buy and sell alot of gear without having to lose some dough in the trade. Unless your strictly looking for deals to resale, in which case buying new guitars doesn't work, you'll never get out of it what you spend.

Comment

well techinically speaking the reason why i want a pro over this is because i dont think the stars bonds with me well... it feels too perfect and right now esp with the awesome new kahler i could adjust every single string to my desire but im just really afraid to touch it and put any scratch on the guitar. id rather have an old guitar i can let myself lose on and enjoy. holding the stars king v makes me feel like im holding a ferrari and i feel really uncomfortable so id honestly just have a restored camaro to enjoy. with the trade, id say my guitar is worth 1300 dollars top and his would be about 1100-1200 for both. i think its pretty fair esp since theres no concrete value for that "desire" in you. right now im just waiting for him to confirm if hes good with it or not.

Comment

I'd say, don't get yourself a guitar if you know that its specs don't correspond to what you want. Cause if you do that, you'll end up having a guitar that gives everyone the bumps but that you won't like to play. This is called wasting money ^^

Also, if you want a guitar that suits for every style of music but play only one style (metal or rock or whatever) there is no reason to get yourself a super versatile guitar whose potential you won't use. The more versatile = the more expensive.

Go for the trade if you feel like it but make sure that you will get everything you want, cause if you ask me, if it turns out you're not satisfied, the other guy surely won't take his instruments back.

Comment

we traded, the pro looks great

Comment

Working...
                              X