Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up a Red Swirl DK2 for gigging AHH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a Red Swirl DK2 for gigging AHH!

Ok well I no longer want to risk my USA's out in clubs so I picked up aDK2 in Red Swirl. Is this thign going to be OK to jam with? Never had a DK2 before. I plan on putting in a Original Floyd after it arrives along with a good set pf pups. Will she hold up to the live wear?
    SL1T (Trans Green)
    SL2H (Trans Blue)
    My band - *LIFTER*

Well, being a bolt-on it's going to sound a lot different than your soloists.

Aside from that, they're very well-built guitars. Duncan JB in the bridge, two Duncan STK-1s in middle and neck. JT580LP bridge is better than the average licensed Floyd. Unless you're a heavy trem user, the guitar should hold up to gigging just fine.
    Scott

Comment

I'm pretty sure only Soloist can be used live.

DK2's are guitars you get just to look at. They aren't meant to be played.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

Scott

Comment

Short answer yes

Long answer YYYYEEESSSSS
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

ya - I know.. I play the Soloist at for practice plenty. There's just to much that can go wrong in a bar full of drunk people! ha! Plus I like to let other guys i knw get up and jam from time to time and this way if something happens I can just laugh it off!! Not cry in beer!!
            SL1T (Trans Green)
            SL2H (Trans Blue)
            My band - *LIFTER*

Comment

one of the strange things ive noticed is that old old jacksons / charvels seem to have much harder wood? i mean,
              my 3dr and kelly std had its neck and headstock tip bumped a couple of times and it didnt really chip. however i had a rhoads performer once and noticed the wood seems to easily dent when bumped.. is the wood really less dense or is it just because there seems to be not much of a lacquer coat on the maple of performer upward series?

anyway man im sure the quality of the DK2 wont let you down. if you will be playing it in a bar full of drunks etc, im sure the difference in sound from your soloist would be negligible.

Comment

it's not that the wood is harder on older Jacksons & Charvels. It's because the older guitars have a protective layer of Mojo
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by leevan_lee View Post
                  one of the strange things ive noticed is that old old jacksons / charvels seem to have much harder wood? i mean,
                  my 3dr and kelly std had its neck and headstock tip bumped a couple of times and it didnt really chip. however i had a rhoads performer once and noticed the wood seems to easily dent when bumped.. is the wood really less dense or is it just because there seems to be not much of a lacquer coat on the maple of performer upward series?

anyway man im sure the quality of the DK2 wont let you down. if you will be playing it in a bar full of drunks etc, im sure the difference in sound from your soloist would be negligible.
                  Alder and poplar are harder woods than basswood.

Also, for a given wood, some examples can be soft and some hard. Ask people who have Charvel Model 88's how soft the mahogany is. SG's either new or from the 70s had harder wood.

So, in summary, it just depends. Each piece of wood is different.

Comment

Ive got a piece of wood right now come to think of it, well see if it can be broken.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      it's not that the wood is harder on older Jacksons & Charvels. It's because the older guitars have a protective layer of Mojo

I dropped my newish RR1T's neck onto the top of my dresser today and was expecting the worst. Not even a scratch. IT'S PRE-FUCKIN-MOJOED! WOOO!
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Love my DK2.
                        great quality and tone for all I do.
                        Enjoy!

Comment

How does it play and sound? I ask because I just put a down payment on a new one. I tried a used one at a GC but didn't have much time to spend with it. Felt right to me though.

Comment

I really like it but it went to the shop right away to have a SD-11 Custom Custom put in the bridge and upgraded input jack and pots. I should have it back tomorrow and we jam Wednesday so we'll see how it does through the Engl e530 and VHT2502 setup.

On a side note I believe i'm going to have a Nailbomb or Warpig installed in my SLH2 and see how that sounds. Even though she'll be staying in practice jams only.
                            SL1T (Trans Green)
                            SL2H (Trans Blue)
                            My band - *LIFTER*

Comment

Working...
                            X