Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR24 - Having fret buzz issues

Hey guys,

I recently bought a brand new Jackson RR24 but I'm having huge fret buzz issues that I can't seem to fix. I've been trying for about an hour now and gave up so hopefully someone can point me in the right now. Right, so the action near the headstock is super low, and the action near the bridge is pretty high. From what I understand you have to raise or lower the bridge to adjust the action and to remove fret buzz. What I've done is I adjusted the springs and the bridge (the two allan wrench screws near the pickup) to make it higher. I try to keep it very straight and parallel to the guitar and neck. But no matter how high I go I have fret buzz on the three low strings up to around the 12th fret! It seems like adjusting the bridge doesn't do anything for the action near the headstock, though. If anyone can help me it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

You can also raise the action at the nut. I don't think you need to but, I'm just mentioning it, but you can shim a Floyd nut to raise it up if you are buzzing on the first 2 or three frets. But out past that, there's a different issue.

If the action is pretty high (let's say, 2 mm at the 12th fret) and you are still getting buzz out to the 12th fret, then I suspect you don't have enough relief in your neck or it is slightly back-bowed.

Check the neck relief with a good straightedge or, if you don't have one, fret the low E at the 3rd fret and the 20th fret and and see how straight it is.

Comment

I really don't have any technical advice to add to the previous post but I will add my past experience. I recently bought a brand new RR5 that had horrible fret buzz and I couldn't work out the kinks with it. I had to have the frets leveled and dressed. The relief on the neck was spot on and the action had to be at .100" for it not to have fret buzz. Usually I keep my guitars at .040-.060". I know my RR24 is sitting at the lowest i've ever played at .040" and it plays beautifully with no fret buzz.. not trying to rub it in. But i know how discouraging it can be to buy a new guitar and have it have major fret buzz.
      Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
      http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Adjust the truss rod for the proper neck relief before you adjust the action at the bridge and nut. That will probably go a long way to solving your fret buzz issues.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
          Adjust the truss rod for the proper neck relief before you adjust the action at the bridge and nut. That will probably go a long way to solving your fret buzz issues.
          This is what people are telling me. I goggled it and from what I've read I'm scared to death to try and do it myself. Every website says messing up the truss rod does huge damage to the guitar! So I guess I"ll just go for a setup.

Comment

You know, I was willing to do setups on my guitars, EXCEPT for truss rod adjustments, for that very reason. It scared the hell out of me!
            Turns out that's actually very simple, and much less risky than you think as long as you're careful and take your time.
            Just do a little more reading on it. If you still feel scared, or doubt your ability at this time to do it, then don't!
            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
              You know, I was willing to do setups on my guitars, EXCEPT for truss rod adjustments, for that very reason. It scared the hell out of me!
              Turns out that's actually very simple, and much less risky than you think as long as you're careful and take your time.
              Just do a little more reading on it. If you still feel scared, or doubt your ability at this time to do it, then don't!
              Thanks for this reply. I just read up on truss rod adjustment for about an hour and I think I've got a grasp on the situation. Seems to me like I've got some back bow, causing a lot of fret buzz at the earlier frets. It's hard to tell though, I THINK I can see it dipping a little but my eyes really hurt when trying to see it haha. Anyway, does that sound like a reasonable solution to this problem? I'm gonna observe this some more and probably loosen the rod but like 1/8 or something.

Comment

1/8-1/4 turns at a time per day. Let the neck acclimate to the new adjustment. Just like fish, very temperamental.
                Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
                http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Yeah, it sounds about right, I'd say it's your truss rod adjustment that's giving you buzz. Truss rods usually need adjusting a few times a year as the weather changes and the wood shrinks/expands, so it's good to learn to do yourself. But you have to remember you are dealing with tiny amounts of measurement, so it's best to get yourself something like a feeler gauge (get one cheap at an auto parts store) so you can get a more precise reading of how much gap you have between the fret wire and the string. Your eyes won't be accurate enough for good results.

Main thing to remember is that you should not have to force it. If you really have to torque the truss rod nut (in either direction) something is not right and you should take it to a pro at that point. It should turn fairly easily and a small (1/8th) turn goes a long way in adjustment.
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

take a look at these site:
                    fret buzz diagnosis: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/buzzing.htm
                    truss rod adjustment: http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm
                    make sure you set up the floyd correctly: http://blues4kids.com/special_promot...loyd_howto.htm

it's worth the time to learn these things. in the long run you will save a lot of money. good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbix View Post
                      Thanks for this reply. I just read up on truss rod adjustment for about an hour and I think I've got a grasp on the situation. Seems to me like I've got some back bow, causing a lot of fret buzz at the earlier frets. It's hard to tell though, I THINK I can see it dipping a little but my eyes really hurt when trying to see it haha. Anyway, does that sound like a reasonable solution to this problem? I'm gonna observe this some more and probably loosen the rod but like 1/8 or something.
                      First of all, get some reading glasses at the drug store if you can't see up close. They're cheap, and you need them. I can't see shit up close and it sucks to take the glasses on and off, but it doesn't suck as much as not being able to see what the hell you are doing, and you can't do any kind of precision adjustment if you can't see what is going on. I know, wearing half-eye reading glasses is "not very metal" but, just get over it and go to the damn drug store.

Second, being blunt here... If you're not willing to adjust the truss rod, you are not going to do a setup, and you should take it to a pro. Your choice, either you are doing your own setups, or you are half-assing adjusting your guitar and probably making it worse as much as better when you should be letting someone else do it right.

Like I said, to check the neck for relief... Use a GOOD straight edge (precision, not a yardstick) or use the string as a straight edge.

If you use the string, you should feel (but barely) the string move when you're checking. Fret at the 3rd with your left hand index finger, and 20th fret with your right hand, then use your left hand pinky to fret at the 8th fret. You should see a tiny gap (put your cheap reading glasses on!) and if you can't see it then do a light "hammer on" and you should hear AND feel it. Ideally you would use a third hand to check with a feeler gauge, but I have not had my third hand installed yet, so I have to see it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I loosened the truss rod a quarter step and I have some surprising results. While fretting the 3rd and 20th fret the string is still touching the 6th and 8th frets. Is it possible that the guitar neck has THAT much back bow? I read to leave it to adjust for a while but should I continue to loosen it until the string is not touching the frets while fretting 3 and 20?

Comment

The loosening of your truss rod may not have "taken" yet. Go for a walk, come home, make yourself a sandwich, eat it, then check again.

I generally do truss rod adjustments before I go to bed, and check the neck the next morning.
                          Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                            The loosening of your truss rod may not have "taken" yet. Go for a walk, come home, make yourself a sandwich, eat it, then check again.

I generally do truss rod adjustments before I go to bed, and check the neck the next morning.
                            +1. And I check by holding the first and last frets down, then see how much of a gap is between frets 5 through 8.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The way I do my floyd/full-float trem set-up's is as follows:

I adjust the truss rod to make the neck perfectly level and straight as measured with a straight edge. I then adjust the bridge height so that there is no buzz when fretting at the 12th and higher (in pitch) frets. I then add only enough relief (forward bow) in the neck to sort out whatever minor fret buzz may come out in the lower (in pitch) frets. Truss rod adjustments may take several hours to a day to fully settle in.

Best of luck :-)
                              Kramer Paul Dean Signature (Harvest Yellow)
                              Kramer Focus 6000 (Candy Red)
                              Ibanez RG-1550M (Poisoned Pumpkin)
                              Ibanez RG-550 (Laser Blue)
                              Squire Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster (3 Color Sunburst)
                              Jackson DKMG Dinky (Black Forest Green)
                              Jackson DXMG Dinky (Black)
                              Ibanez RG-120 (Sparkly Red)

Comment

Working...
                              X